Crematogasters finally laying eggs!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SkeleAnt

Crematogasters finally laying eggs!

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:15 pm

Hey everyone, it's been a long winter hibernation. With my colonies waking up, I'm back (mostly because now I have stuff to talk about again).

Last August I was lucky enough to catch 8 Crematogaster queens, but I was really nervous about their viability because not a single one laid any eggs. I couldn't believe out of 8 queens they were all infertile. Fortunately someone here mentioned that Crematogasters can overwinter and THEN lay their first brood in Spring.

Which is exactly what happened! All 8 queens have laid their first brood as of Thursday, so I'm very excited to see how their colonies progress! Stay tuned for status updates!
2 founding formica subsericea
1 aphaenogaster rudis
1 brachymyrmex depilis
More still founding!

AM1C39

Re: Crematogasters finally laying eggs!

Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:15 pm

That is exactly what happend with my crematogaster queen. Good luck!
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Crematogasters finally laying eggs!

Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:17 pm

SkeleAnt wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:15 pm
Hey everyone, it's been a long winter hibernation. With my colonies waking up, I'm back (mostly because now I have stuff to talk about again).

Last August I was lucky enough to catch 8 Crematogaster queens, but I was really nervous about their viability because not a single one laid any eggs. I couldn't believe out of 8 queens they were all infertile. Fortunately someone here mentioned that Crematogasters can overwinter and THEN lay their first brood in Spring.

Which is exactly what happened! All 8 queens have laid their first brood as of Thursday, so I'm very excited to see how their colonies progress! Stay tuned for status updates!
Hello there,

I will not claim that it was me who mentioned it. However just in a recent thread I mentioned the fact that some antspecies lay eggs after hibernation. I am happy to hear that your queens have all laid eggs by now. May they all flurish and thrive under your care. :)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.