About Observing My Queen

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Anisoptera

About Observing My Queen

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:04 am

I know you aren’t supposed to observe the queen while she’s in the test tube setup, but I have a red light. If so, can I observe her about once every few days? This is my first queen, so I don’t know a lot, and I’m really anxious.
x2 Solenopsis invicta queens
x1 Camponotus decipiens queen

Ant keeping is soothing, isn't it? - Anisoptera

AM1C39

Re: About Observing My Queen

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:37 am

You can look at your queen often, usually she does not care.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:17 am

AM1C39 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:37 am
You can look at your queen often, usually she does not care.
I have to disagree with this. It may not look as if she doesn't care because you cannot always see the stress on the colony.

@Anisoptera: I would recommend you to get a red filter to put around the testtube instead of a red light. Works usually better and it leaves less space for errors.

You have to imagine that the queen in the testtube is trying to relax and take care of her babies but if someone would keep exposing her home she "made" then she would get stressed more and more if she doesn't have time to relax. Usually it is recommended to leave the colony at peace as much as possible and only check about 1 - 2 times per week. I know it's hard to resist as a starter, I've also been there but my first antqueen died becuase of too much stress. The workers don't have this issue.

Btw what antspecies do you have?
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AM1C39

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:36 am

Yes I agree with AntsLuxembourg, but it really depends on the species. For example most of my formica colonies get stressed very easily (like the slightest vibration), but my camponotus novaeboracensis colonies are very chill.
My current colonies:

Anisoptera

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:07 am

AntsLuxembourg, My ant species is Solenopsis Invicta. Thanks for the feedback!
x2 Solenopsis invicta queens
x1 Camponotus decipiens queen

Ant keeping is soothing, isn't it? - Anisoptera

Alaydia

Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:44 pm

Honestly, the jury is still out as to the red light thing. I've seen some people saying it works on some ants and not others, I've seen people saying no ants can see red light, and I've seen people saying the whole red light thing is bunk. Agree that you should disturb your queen as little as possible. Set one day a week and that's when you check her. Really is best for her all around.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:57 am

Alaydia wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:44 pm
Honestly, the jury is still out as to the red light thing. I've seen some people saying it works on some ants and not others, I've seen people saying no ants can see red light, and I've seen people saying the whole red light thing is bunk. Agree that you should disturb your queen as little as possible. Set one day a week and that's when you check her. Really is best for her all around.
I myself also highly doubt the red light thing. I had for example a Messor Barbarus colony that loved sitting in the green tubing I had at that time. I also had one area covered with see through red filter (selfmade and I don't really count it) and the queen kept chilling in that area. I wanted to conduct some random tests with blue, green, yellow and red filter to see which one they liked best but I must also admit that I didn't have either filters.

My current colony seems to accept the red filter for their nest as each time that I shine a light through it they don't seem to be disturbed at all by it. My guess is that people think the red filter thing works for Bees and such and since ants are related to them they "should be similar with this". But who can tell me that all the ants originated from the exact same type of bee and that all bee species are equal with this red light? I would even assume that weaver ants can't see green hence why they also like building in trees. Or they are just not as sensitive to the sunlight or bright lights in general.

This is my 5 cents on this subject. I use red filter but I also doubt that it is working on all the ants.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

AM1C39

Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:30 am

If ants can see red light they still like it because red light is darker than normal light.
My current colonies:

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:52 am

AM1C39 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:30 am
If ants can see red light they still like it because red light is darker than normal light.
Agreed. If I ever have the time, money, space and resources I will try to conduct some tests and see if the antspecies I have actually prefer a certain color over another. ;)
I would need a nest for each color / filter and connect them with the same distance to avoid someone saying "Oh but only because you had this one closer they chose it. It would be really interesting to see that. It may look like the ISS shapewise. haha.

Of course with unplugging their favorite, trying to get them out and repeating the test. It will be very time consuming but whatever. It would be awesome to just know ;)