Hibernation?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KingKyle26

Hibernation?

Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:24 am

So I caught 3 queens a few weeks ago and have left them alone in a dark quiet place. I'm starting to hear people talk about hibernation. Do I need to hibernate my ants? If so, how do i do that? Or if I don't need to hibernate them, is there a way I should ensure them staying warm over the winter. I live around Philadelphia so we get pretty cold winters and pretty hot summers! Any help would be awesome!

idahoantgirl

Re: Hibernation?

Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:53 am

KingKyle26 wrote:So I caught 3 queens a few weeks ago and have left them alone in a dark quiet place. I'm starting to hear people talk about hibernation. Do I need to hibernate my ants? If so, how do i do that? Or if I don't need to hibernate them, is there a way I should ensure them staying warm over the winter. I live around Philadelphia so we get pretty cold winters and pretty hot summers! Any help would be awesome!
You need to hibernate when you start seeing that the ants outside aren't out anymore. Put your queens in a cold place. a garage, or a basement will work. if you had a beer fridge some people put them in there on a wormer setting. Do not hibernate them outside! They will freeze. but a garage will be okay. you don't need to make sure that she stays warm. the whole point of hibernation is that they get cold and slow down. sometimes the queen will appear completely dead. do not throw her out!!!!! She is alive but sleeping! sometimes it takes weeks after taking them out of hibernation before the queen shows signs of life!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

KingKyle26

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:55 am

Is it still 0k to hibernate them even if they haven't laid their first eggs? Or is this normal and they will start after taking then out of hibernation?

Martialis

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:19 pm

KingKyle26 wrote:Is it still 0k to hibernate them even if they haven't laid their first eggs? Or is this normal and they will start after taking then out of hibernation?
Yes, this is okay. Formica, for example, do not lay eggs until after hibernation.
Keeper of

Selliing: