Red fire ant egg?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Red fire ant egg?

Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:24 pm

Danw190 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:07 pm
I caught this fire ant queen about a week ago, and I checked on it today, and it has a red egg. Is this normal?https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vko5_xjaAEMwcA1AIqO_Pfew8UxSJynW/view?usp=drivesdk
Was that actually solenopsis? Mine have same color heads andthoraxes. It looks like a smaller Camponotus Floridanus almost…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:32 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Danw190 wrote:
I caught this fire ant queen about a week ago, and I checked on it today, and it has a red egg. Is this normal?https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vko5_xjaAEMwcA1AIqO_Pfew8UxSJynW/view?usp=drivesdk
Was that actually solenopsis? Mine have same color heads andthoraxes. It looks like a smaller Camponotus Floridanus almost…
Totally not. Misidentifications are quite common in this forum. As you can see, that queen has one petiole node, Solenopsis have two. She is most likely to be a Camponotus queen also because of the shape and color of her egg.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:37 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Danw190 wrote:
Totally not. Misidentifications are quite common in this forum. As you can see, that queen has one petiole node, Solenopsis have two. She is most likely to be a Camponotus queen also because of the shape and color of her egg.
Think it was Camponotus tortoganus?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:59 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:37 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Think it was Camponotus tortoganus?
It could be.

terrellgriffin

Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:40 am

There seems something unique on your hands there which I might find amusing or entertaining. Well, even though I comment and reply here never have I ever made an attempt to even catch or place an ant in a space. I feel like these species do not have anything to offer me like other predators. Well, there is a lot I have said already, comparing ants to predators but let me get to the topic or area of concern. There are always two ways to consider and comment on a post or story. Either you type long enough without any factual basis. Whereas there are methods to quote some articles and then bring in your verdict. Consider me doing the latter so you find good answers that you can consider as facts too.
First, fire ants do not produce red eggs. The color of their eggs is white and there is a great read regarding which needs your attention too.
“The fire ant queen continues to lay eggs throughout her life. She can live up to 7 years and produces an average of 1,000 eggs each day. The eggs hatch into white, legless, grub-like larvae that are fed by the workers.”
However, this is not all that I wanted to comment on here. I also wanted to let you know that red egg production might be some sort of an illness or a result of the habitat that you are offering your ants. Another great extract coming your way for the fire-ant habitat.
“The winged forms, called reproductive, live in the mound until embarking on a mating (nuptial) flight, which usually occurs in the afternoon soon after a rainy period. Mating flights can occur at any time of the year, but they are most common in spring and fall.”
Hence, there are two great pieces of reading that will enlighten you regarding your query.