how long for first workers

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ShulerAnt

Re: how long for first workers

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:02 pm

Hi,
I got my queen ant back in mid February, as you can see in my above posts. She still has not produces any workers, just has eggs and larvae. I AM VERY WORRIED! I thought it maybe from the was the cooler/winter weather so I purchased a heating pad, now the weather is nice. Please let me know if there is anything I am doing wrong or any suggestions that I can do. She is still in the test tube with some seeds and water.
Thanks
Shuler

AntsLuxembourg

Re: how long for first workers

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:10 am

If there is larvae then it just means you have to wait a bit more. Sadly I don't know how slow or fast the founding process for Messor Barbarus is so I cannot give a good estimate, but I know that it can take a little while for them to get started. Just wait and you will see if it was successful or not. You can put a thermometer next to the testtube to see the temperature. It should be around 24°C and can be a bit higher but don't put the heating pad directly under the testtube. Put it close to the exit so the queen gets some of the nice warmth of it.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.