Lasius fuliginosus

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

tavisalo

Lasius fuliginosus

Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:22 pm

is Lasius fuliginosus easy to keep ?? and how long does it take them to evolve from egg to worker ?? i can't find any information anywhere.

bugging3out

Re: Lasius fuliginosus

Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:46 pm

tavisalo wrote:
is Lasius fuliginosus easy to keep ?? and how long does it take them to evolve from egg to worker ?? i can't find any information anywhere.
yeah, NO. lasius fuliginosus is a parasitic species which means you have to either get a whole colony of a lasius colony (not lasius fuliginosus) and put your fresh lasius fuliginosus into that colony and let her kill the queen and pretend to be the new queen and then she starts to lay her own species egg and then you get that colony. or you have to spend the weekend looking for lasius pupae. she is not a normal species you can keep in a normal test tube she can only be raised this way. it takes time for an egg to worker as long as any other lasius species. so this species Is on the level: EXTREME
what do ya think?
best, bugging3out
Why did I even make a signature if I am just gonna say this.

tavisalo

Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:02 am

bugging3out wrote:
tavisalo wrote:
yeah, NO. lasius fuliginosus is a parasitic species which means you have to either get a whole colony of a lasius colony (not lasius fuliginosus) and put your fresh lasius fuliginosus into that colony and let her kill the queen and pretend to be the new queen and then she starts to lay her own species egg and then you get that colony. or you have to spend the weekend looking for lasius pupae. she is not a normal species you can keep in a normal test tube she can only be raised this way. it takes time for an egg to worker as long as any other lasius species. so this species Is on the level: EXTREME
what do ya think?
best, bugging3out
Thanks

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:51 am

bugging3out wrote:
so this species Is on the level: EXTREME
Maybe not the level Extreme but difficult or advanced as you need to care first for another colony and then for the parasite colony. For me I suppose it would just be more annoying to keep a colony for the sole purpose of being overthrown / overtaken by a parasite. And then again I don't know if it was possible or if it happens but couldn't the workers detect some of those queens which may make it less likely for the parasite to succeed in killing the current queen. I mean it would be interesting to know that if the colony is too big, that the workers have less trouble defending against such an intruder.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

TalANTFlame

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:00 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:51 am
bugging3out wrote:
so this species Is on the level: EXTREME
Maybe not the level Extreme but difficult or advanced as you need to care first for another colony and then for the parasite colony. For me I suppose it would just be more annoying to keep a colony for the sole purpose of being overthrown / overtaken by a parasite. And then again I don't know if it was possible or if it happens but couldn't the workers detect some of those queens which may make it less likely for the parasite to succeed in killing the current queen. I mean it would be interesting to know that if the colony is too big, that the workers have less trouble defending against such an intruder.
Ants Anatomy gives a pretty good video on this. You can instead just steal some brood from the colonies then your good. (In most cases.) Then you can keep both colonies. You can choose to do a worker or two, which is both safer and riskier. Risky because the worker may decide to kill the queen, and safe because if a queen has a worker, nothing is as dangerous.
Owner of:
x1 Possibly Paratrechina Longicornis :D
x1 Twin Tailed Halfmoon fish
x1 mealworm farm

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:52 am

TalANTFlame wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:00 am
Ants Anatomy gives a pretty good video on this. You can instead just steal some brood from the colonies then your good. (In most cases.) Then you can keep both colonies. You can choose to do a worker or two, which is both safer and riskier. Risky because the worker may decide to kill the queen, and safe because if a queen has a worker, nothing is as dangerous.
That would of course be also an interesting idea. It would come closer to a nicer altenative. ;)
But still I wouldn't recommend this. I mean in my mindset parasites are always bad / harmful even tho that is how they evolved. So unless they are like those worms in Futurama which made Fry strong and smart, I wouldn't like to take care of parasites. :P

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

AM1C39

Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:46 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:52 am

That would of course be also an interesting idea. It would come closer to a nicer altenative. ;)
But still I wouldn't recommend this. I mean in my mindset parasites are always bad / harmful even tho that is how they evolved. So unless they are like those worms in Futurama which made Fry strong and smart, I wouldn't like to take care of parasites. :P
They are only parasites for their founding stage after that they are sort of a normal colony. OH, and also:
https://youtu.be/dqGTBVpThpc
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

TalANTFlame

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:45 pm

Also remember, parasites aren't necessarily bad, they simply prey larger animals. They are equally as important to the environment as the decomposers, predators, scavengers, prey, etc. This is why you shouldn't put labels on animals, unless its for your own safety.
Owner of:
x1 Possibly Paratrechina Longicornis :D
x1 Twin Tailed Halfmoon fish
x1 mealworm farm

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:09 pm

TalANTFlame wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:45 pm
Also remember, parasites aren't necessarily bad, they simply prey larger animals. They are equally as important to the environment as the decomposers, predators, scavengers, prey, etc. This is why you shouldn't put labels on animals, unless its for your own safety.
I sh0ould have specified those parasites that kill pets and bees and ants. ;)