New and need help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

twmlive

New and need help

Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:26 am

I have noticed that two of my 3 colonies have begun to have ants that act incredibly weird (https://imgur.com/a/bfreOxo) then they die. I am worried about what could of caused this and if it is possible to save the colony before it's too late.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: New and need help

Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:27 am

Hello there,

I have a look and it doesn't look as if the ant had mites on it's body, however it could be that it has a parasite in it which controls it's body. It does seem really odd and I don't know if I'm even correct with that. Could you tell me where you got the colonies from? How big are the colonies? What colonies are there? Would it be possible for you to remove all the workers that move weirdly to see if that makes it stop? It might take a lot of time & effort depending on the colony sizes but it might be the best solution.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

twmlive

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:33 am

All of them are pogonomyrmex occidentalis. One colony has is about 20, the other had about 60-80. I have a third that is also 60-80 that is healthy and showing no ill signs. So far the common factor would be the two that are dying are in soil towers using soil I collected from my backyard. At this point, I am thinking there may have been pesticides in the soil. I don't use them, but that is my guess. I am trying to keep this from happening in the future. I did sterilize the soil before I used it. I was removing workers until today I found the queen (60-80) acting the same strange way. Looks like the colony is probably done :(. I was also afraid that it might be mold, in which case I was hoping that springtails would help me in the future. The third healthy colony will probably just stay in the artificial habitats until I can gather some more information and plan better to use the large towers I bought.

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:28 am

I wonder, how did you sterilize the soil? I wouldn't know how to do it myself. Next do you have some sort of farmer living close by? Would you mind trying to use sand or dirt or clay which you can buy at a pet store? Not sure how many regular pet stores sell them but mine does since they sell aquarium items but also items for lizards or spiders. Their digging materials are usually very sterile and clean so you can use them safely.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.