MY ANTS HATCHED!! PLZ HELP!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

RiceAnt

MY ANTS HATCHED!! PLZ HELP!

Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:01 am

Hi!! I'M SO EXCITED MY ANTS FINALLY HATCHED. They're some kind of really, really small crematogaster. Only one ant has hatched per queen

I need to know; when should I feed my queens? I don't know what to feed or when (as in how many workers). People say "honey water" but how do you make that? What concentration?

I'm very worried tho, as I have a camp for an entire week, so I can't check up on them or feed them in week 9 (today is the end of week 7).

If someone could help, I'd be really grateful!

Thanks!
Go to the ant, O sluggard,
Observe her ways and be wise,
Which, having no chief,
Officer or ruler,
Prepares her food in the summer
And gathers her provision in the harvest.

6:6-8 Proverbs

Founding:
- Lasius niger
- Crematogaster cerasi

Alaydia

Re: MY ANTS HATCHED!! PLZ HELP!

Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:46 pm

What I have seen the most, and what worked for me, was just a small drop of honey. Take a toothpick, dip it in honey, and put it inside the tube. The nanintic will find it, eat, and bring it back to the queen. The next thing I've seen recommended most often is an insect part, like a cricket leg. That worked for one colony but not the other. As for honey water, I can't recommend because mine just made a sticky mess. I've had great luck with hummingbird nectar (the kind WITHOUT dye), mixed according to package directions. I just put some in a test tube when I was filling my feeder. A 1 to 4 mix (1 part sugar to 4 parts water) has also worked well with my girls. Good luck, and congratulations! If you live in a more temperate region and these ants brumate, be prepared. I would expect them to eat once and then shut down for the winter. Perfectly normal.

Best thing to do all around is seek out care sheets. Post pics of your ants on the forums where indicated to try to get a good idea of exactly what you have and then read everything you can about them. You'll be glad you did.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.

RiceAnt

Re: MY ANTS HATCHED!! PLZ HELP!

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:17 am

Thanks!
Go to the ant, O sluggard,
Observe her ways and be wise,
Which, having no chief,
Officer or ruler,
Prepares her food in the summer
And gathers her provision in the harvest.

6:6-8 Proverbs

Founding:
- Lasius niger
- Crematogaster cerasi