Please help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

RaptorAnts

Please help

Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:39 pm

I have a queen that is not laying eggs, and when she does, something happens to them and the queen stops taking care of them. Could I take a baby or worker from the other queen (which looks like the same sp) and put it with the queen with nothing? I really don't know what to do. I don't know what exactly they are but the buyer said they might me Camponotus Pennsylvanicus. If you have other suggestions please give me one!!!! I also found out that she migut be getting to cold. I really need sugestions!!
Owner of 2 huge Camponotus queens.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Please help

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:21 am

Hey,

First thing you could do. Go to the ants identification section of this forum and try to post some good pictures of the queen including, where you got it from, infos about the color or the size of the queen. Preferably in mm or cm.

Next you should put the queen in a dark spot and don't check on her for a week. Check a maximum of 2 times per week and keep her as much as possible in the dark without any disturbances. For example on a shelf in your wardrobe that you don't use much and covered by a towel.

I suspect that the queen is just too stressed to continue taking care of the brute so she either stops caring for them or she eats the eggs and brute.

As soon as we have the species we will know if she is claustral or semi claustral. Depending on which you will have to feed her. It could also be that she wants to hibernate as we are nearing that time of the year very quickly right now.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.