Sleepytime?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Alaydia

Sleepytime?

Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:40 am

Living on the east coast, and it's certainly into the fall weather. I have been watching as I go, and still seeing wild ants foraging, especially during the afternoon hours when it's warmer. Meanwhile, inside, I have my colonies that are moving very little. Those with workers have nice fat gasters filled with goodies. My queen with only brood continues to lie on her brood. Haven't seen much development of any brood. Minimal new egg laying. No one seems to be doing much foraging. Should I pop my girls in the fridge and start the process? Or should I continue with my original plan of following along with what I see is happening outside?
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Sleepytime?

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:14 am

Hey,

For the hibernation it fully depends on the species. Some species require a minimum temperature of 15°C while others can be put into a fridge at 6-8°C.

For the growth of your colony or the remaining brute it will just depend on the heat that they recieve. If they are at a high enough temperature they may continue to grow but it might take longer or pause completely if the temperature is not high enough.

Next it would be good for you to look up their hibernation periods. For example it can happen that they start hibernation usually at the end or beginning of october or november. But that really just depends on the species. Try to look it up and if you still can£t find anything, let me know.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Alaydia

Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:25 pm

They start hibernating right around now-ish and into November. That's precisely why I'm watching wild colonies (I only keep native ants). I just am worried about putting them in the fridge before they're ready. The room they're in is cooler then the rest of the house without being cold, more like 70 to 72 in the rest of the house. I was thinking I might gradually block off the heat and let that room cool until it's closer to outside temperature, to match outdoor conditions. Then, when I'm fairly certain they're ready for their nap, I will pop them into the fridge.

Unfortunately, I just lost my C. discolor colony thanks to a VERY naughty kitten who climbed up a damned bookshelf to misbehave! Bah!

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:56 am

Oh now. "Bad Ol' Putty Tat". Did the kitten actually eat them or just smashed their setup? Also very nice to hear you keep local species. I keep Messor Barbarus but as they are native to the south of France, Spain and according to Ant Wiki to Belgium, they are at the very least in close range of their native habitat. But they are also not very aggressiv and would probably die due to a local fire ant colony or the sheet amount of Lasius Niger Colonies.

Anyway, what I did last year was that I first put them in my bedroom, which is usually fairly cold (+/- 20°C). At least for one or two days. Next I would put them into the cave which is at around 15-17°C for another few days to a week and then into the fridge. This will help them to adjust a bit to the temperatures. I should get started as I am actually pretty late for my lasius niger colonies this year. ^^

I did put them into a box covered & couchened by an old piece of clothing like an old t-shirt or pair of underwear that I would cut into pieces. I also do have to move them into a new and clean testtube. I don't know why but I am lately a bit lazy with everything. ^^'

Anyway that is at least how I do it as I have these options available.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Alaydia

Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:32 pm

He ate them. I found a head and one larva. Little $*@&! That's what I get for encouraging them to chase bugs in the house that fly in from outside.

I have no interest in keeping ants that wouldn't do well in this environment. Besides, if anything goes wrong, I want them to at least have a chance surviving in the wild! Ooo, I like the idea of moving them in steps. I could put them down in the basement next with my canning. That would also serve the secondary purpose of keeping the poking paws of curious kittens away from them. Then, when it's nice and cold and they're happily snoozing, I'll pop 'em in the mini fridge. How often should the fridge be opened for air? Once a day?

Be lazy, luv, this is supposed to be fun, right?

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:18 am

Don't worry. I kept my ants in my normal fridge and the ants did well last time. Although I must admit I didn't took the time with my first "big batch" of lasius niger so they didn't have such a great time and I released them into the wild. :C

For the security of your ants you could put them in a container that is too heavy to throw down. Or you put them into the closet / wardrobe which will serve as a good shield against the kitten.

Alaydia

Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:02 am

Looking like they're out, so in the fridge they went.

Now we just have to wait for the spousal unit to find them... ;)