How?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsLuxembourg

Re: How?

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:04 am

Hey,

So there are a few ways that you can achieve this but it will depend on if your ants can climb glass or smooth surfaces. Here is a shop where I usually get my supply of anti out break material. https://www.antstore.net/shop/de/Bauteile/Ausbruchsschutz/
I know it's in German but you might get the idea. So there is the possibility of a fluon barrier which is basically a liquid that you apply onto the surface which makes it very slippery for the ants to climb. I use this myself and so far I never had an escape. However you have to make sure the layer is thick enough so the ants don't just escape by walking over the barrier. Therefore you have to apply a barrier thicker than 2,5 times the lenght of an ant.

The other solitions can be a baby powder or an oil barrier. The baby powder barrier is made by mixing babypowder and rubbing alcohol. I don't know the exact mixture but I think a 1:1 should do it. It has to be applied more often than the fluon but can be used in different setups.

As for the move it's usually as easy as unplugging the cotton and pluggin the testtube into the tube. I have a lot of spare testtubes so i can always verify that my tubes fit. I recommend testing this as well just to be sure that it works fine. In case some ants cling onto the cotton don't worry. You can just throw it into the formicatium / outworld in case you can easily remove it or you try to throw the ants individually into their setup.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

bugging3out

Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:45 pm

Cool.
Why did I even make a signature if I am just gonna say this.

Tommygun

Wed May 05, 2021 1:39 am

Anyone know how long the mix works

AntLuvForever

Wed May 05, 2021 7:18 am

Several months if the temperature is not too hot or too cold
Ant Colonies I Own :

(Prenolepis imparis)--Subzero

(Tetramorium immigrans)--The Concrete Angles

(Formica neogagates)--The Unyielding Legion

Tommygun

Wed May 05, 2021 2:35 pm

Thanks

AntsLuxembourg

Thu May 06, 2021 3:39 am

I think the guy has left the forum cause now my first post doesn't even make sense anymore ^^
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.