Temporary Substitute for Cotton Wool

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AmaryllisEnergy

Temporary Substitute for Cotton Wool

Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:57 pm

This may be an extremely dumb question so I apologize in advance. I've found myself what I believe to be a Pogonomyrmex sp. (Possibly Badius or Barbatus but unsure, will work on getting a picture) I need to get her in a tube with some water unfortunately I need to leave for work and have no cotton wool. I do however have untreated/undyed sheep's wool(I needle felt) available. Would this be an okay substitute until I can come home from work with some cotton wool? Max of 14 hours(I work 12 hour days) if not what would be an appropriate substitute for now?

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Temporary Substitute for Cotton Wool

Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:44 am

hello there,

Not sure how clean sheep wool is either treated or untreated. You could put in a moist kitchen papertowel or a bit of toilet paper. All the queen needs is a bit of moisture at the beginning. Later on you can still get some proper cotton wool from a store to make a proper testtube. :)

In the wild ants sometimes drink the moisture of their tunnel walls depending on how moist or dry those are. :)

Anyway, give it a try and let us know how it goes. Sadly I cannot assist with tips in regards to your antspecies so for now this is the best I can do for you. Sorry. :/
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AmaryllisEnergy

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:07 pm

Thank you! That's actually what I ended up doing anyway and it's worked out fine so far. I'm working on a proper set up today.

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:59 am

Nice. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.