What type of soil is best for my ants

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Sombody

What type of soil is best for my ants

Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:27 pm

I currently have a carpenter ant Queen and waiting next year or earlier for her to start laying eggs. And I was wondering later on in the future what would be the best soil to get them

AntsLuxembourg

Re: What type of soil is best for my ants

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:19 am

I personally would have offered them a big piece of wood. Either well dried or something made out of wood by a company or something. However it could be that I am mistaken and just because it's campanodous doesn't always mean they like to house in a treestump or piece of wood.
Of course it will depend on your species but for the founding I guess they may like a dig in clay. That is the one I use for my Messor Barbarus and it is rather tough and sturdy. It doesn't cave in easily like dried sand does and you really need to scrub to break everything appart. Also once the colony is set with their tunneling you can just keep it as a dry setup.

Maybe you could tell us what exact species you keep so I can check if there is a better soil you could use.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.