Step after test tubes

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

RiceAnt

Step after test tubes

Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:42 pm

Hi,

Just so I can prepare before any workers hatch, what is the next step after the test tube? I can't purchase AC portals unfortunately, so is there another way to keep the ants well fed and have enough space?

Also, what do I do if the queens are infertile? I can't just let them go out by themselves right?

Ima bet Mad Vampy is going to answer this, this dude is dedicated like an ant

-Thanks!
Go to the ant, O sluggard,
Observe her ways and be wise,
Which, having no chief,
Officer or ruler,
Prepares her food in the summer
And gathers her provision in the harvest.

6:6-8 Proverbs

Founding:
- Lasius niger
- Crematogaster cerasi

MattAttack

Re: Step after test tubes

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:46 pm

If you can't purchase any equipment for ants you can always make your own or use the "tubs and tubes method" for keeping your ants. But don't worry about that, for now, you should only move them when they least have 20 or so workers. I would also recommend you keeping them in the test tube for the 1st year of growth since temperatures and such can easily be controlled. Yea just let them go, but make sure they are infertile.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:27 am

Hey rice,

Things you could get to expand your setup if you don't like to order or buy at an antstore would be the boxes from Ikea, called Godmorgon I think. Next you have to drill a hole into the side of it, preferably with the right tools or mostly round. Get some tubing and if possible get silicon for aquariums as it's made fish friendly and I assume that it will safe to use around ants. If you cannot find those you could try to use hot glue gun instead but I don't know if that is the best solution or super safe for your ants. I used it in the past as a temporary solution but I have definetly changed from hot glue to aquarium silicon as it is stronger and stretches a bit more so it doesn't just break off.

Otherwise just stick to tubbing and make sure to add ventilation zones like an outworld or AC Testtube Portal at least for each 5m of tubing. Preferably more often tho.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

RiceAnt

Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:44 pm

MattAttack wrote:
If you can't purchase any equipment for ants you can always make your own or use the "tubs and tubes method" for keeping your ants. But don't worry about that, for now, you should only move them when they least have 20 or so workers. I would also recommend you keeping them in the test tube for the 1st year of growth since temperatures and such can easily be controlled. Yea just let them go, but make sure they are infertile.
Hey rice,

Things you could get to expand your setup if you don't like to order or buy at an antstore would be the boxes from Ikea, called Godmorgon I think. Next you have to drill a hole into the side of it, preferably with the right tools or mostly round. Get some tubing and if possible get silicon for aquariums as it's made fish friendly and I assume that it will safe to use around ants. If you cannot find those you could try to use hot glue gun instead but I don't know if that is the best solution or super safe for your ants. I used it in the past as a temporary solution but I have definetly changed from hot glue to aquarium silicon as it is stronger and stretches a bit more so it doesn't just break off.

Otherwise just stick to tubbing and make sure to add ventilation zones like an outworld or AC Testtube Portal at least for each 5m of tubing. Preferably more often tho.
Thank you so much! Sorry for the late reply, I was on camp. I have one more question, however. Can I put the test tubes in a cardboard box, or will the cardboard smell/air affect the queen ants?
Go to the ant, O sluggard,
Observe her ways and be wise,
Which, having no chief,
Officer or ruler,
Prepares her food in the summer
And gathers her provision in the harvest.

6:6-8 Proverbs

Founding:
- Lasius niger
- Crematogaster cerasi

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:42 pm

RiceAnt wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:44 pm
MattAttack wrote:
Hey rice,

Thank you so much! Sorry for the late reply, I was on camp. I have one more question, however. Can I put the test tubes in a cardboard box, or will the cardboard smell/air affect the queen ants?
Putting them in a cardboard box? As in take a test tube that you have you queen and works in and just place it in a box to shut out the light? If so yes you can, it very common from me to take multi queens when they are founding (starting a colony) their colony and place them in a small cardboard box with something between the tubes to keep them from moving around and then closing the box up. Remember ants don't have lungs, they get their oxygen thru the shells of their bodies, so just like the ends of the test tubes that you stuff cotton in (allows air to get into the test tube) you need to allow a way for fresh are to get into the cardboard box. It doesn't need to be a huge hole (maybe 1" or 25mm) in the side or top of the box to allow air in.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:30 am

MadVampy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:42 pm

Putting them in a cardboard box? As in take a test tube that you have you queen and works in and just place it in a box to shut out the light? If so yes you can, it very common from me to take multi queens when they are founding (starting a colony) their colony and place them in a small cardboard box with something between the tubes to keep them from moving around and then closing the box up. Remember ants don't have lungs, they get their oxygen thru the shells of their bodies, so just like the ends of the test tubes that you stuff cotton in (allows air to get into the test tube) you need to allow a way for fresh are to get into the cardboard box. It doesn't need to be a huge hole (maybe 1" or 25mm) in the side or top of the box to allow air in.
Or you open the box twice a month or once a week and just blow through the box. Should swap the air quickly. :lol:
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.