The dreaded moment for my Tetramorium

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntChuck

The dreaded moment for my Tetramorium

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:23 pm

Well the moment I was hoping wouldn't happen started today. My 5 queen Tetramorium Immigrans colony did 2 things... 1) finally began moving to the fresh test tube and 2) Began attacking queens. I have had nanatics for nearly 2 months, the colony has around 60 workers and a giant brood pile so each passing day gave me hope they would not kill off any queens. Sadly earlier today the assault began. I scooped up 2 queens who had aready been injured out if the AC portal... one is a goner as sheis missing 3 legs. The other may yet survive as she is only missing a bit of one antenna... Unfortunately it appears the remaining 3 queens are all being attacked by workers. Initially they appeared to be leaving one alone but now I am afraid they will kill all the queens. Crossing my fingers that in the morning they will have chosen the a queen.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

Antloverhuman

Re: The dreaded moment for my Tetramorium

Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:13 am

This happens in multiqueen colonies. Also dont lose all hope in the three missing legs queen. Just put her ina separate test tube with couple of workers and if possible, brood and see if the workers are still killing the queen. Because sometimes severely injured queens can still survive and lay eggs (if you watch AntsInvasion yt channel, you could know that in his pheidoli colony, theres a queen with no legs and is still laying eggs and completely fine
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

AntsLuxembourg

Re: The dreaded moment for my Tetramorium

Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:52 am

Locked.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.