Nanitics died

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Serpentine

Nanitics died

Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi! I have a Camponotus Pennsylvania queen and the first 2 nanitics hatched out. I didn't see any other pupae ready to hatch out but I'd always heard to wait until the queen had 12 or so workers before introducing a new setup. Then I noticed the nanitics pulling on the cotton, which I read was a sign they wanted to get out, and the next day when I attempted to connect them to my AntsCanada formicarium, the 2 workers had died. Anyone else have this experience. Did they starve that quickly? Or choke on the cotton? I thought the queen would be able to feed them in the beginning.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Nanitics died

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:33 am

Hello there,

Usually the queen feeds the brute. However when you have workers / nanitics you may want to give them a small drop of honey so they don't starve. But it is very unusual that the nanitics just died. Choking on the cotton is not very plausible in my mind. Maybe a lack of food. Try offering a drop of honey and see if the queen takes it. If yes it means they might have starved. If not then it might just have been bad luck. :/
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Serpentine

Re: Nanitics died

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:26 pm

Thank you for your thoughts!