Queenless colony idk what too do

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

tred9287

Queenless colony idk what too do

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:41 pm

Hello so I have a any colony that I dug up from my front yard and I never found there queen they've been surviving for 4 weeks now no deaths have been seen also I have colony boosted them for fun and they've been tending too the brood and not eating them too and I was wondering if there's any way too introduce a new queen of other ideas also i have a carpenter queen Ant I found from looking for queens no brood yet have had her for 2 months ,thanks.

Batspiderfish

Re: Queenless colony idk what too do

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:31 pm

Maybe after a long time, they will accept a queen of the same species, but Formica are very excitable; the queen and workers might just fight or run away from each other. I'd normally say you could try introducing a social parasite, but parasitic Formica tend to be pretty violent, and are mostly interested in stealing brood. It could be worth a shot.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

tred9287

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:48 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Maybe after a long time, they will accept a queen of the same species, but Formica are very excitable; the queen and workers might just fight or run away from each other. I'd normally say you could try introducing a social parasite, but parasitic Formica tend to be pretty violent, and are mostly interested in stealing brood. It could be worth a shot.
OK thanks for the info but i was wondering where i could find/get a social parasite as i am new too ant keeping i live in Colorado.

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:10 pm

You just have to look around during the primary Formica mating season (July) and hope you get lucky. I'll hopefully have a nice mating calendar available by then.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

tred9287

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:You just have to look around during the primary Formica mating season (July) and hope you get lucky. I'll hopefully have a nice mating calendar available by then.
Nice thanks for the help and I'll be looking forward for that calendar

tred9287

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:35 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:You just have to look around during the primary Formica mating season (July) and hope you get lucky. I'll hopefully have a nice mating calendar available by then.
Wait do u k ow what species these ants are and what queen I would be looking for and sorry for asking this because I'm very very new too ant keeping

Batspiderfish

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:00 pm

I can't tell from the photographs. you'll have to make an ID thread and supply the usual details, as well as post a photograph where the workers are in-focus.