Myrmica Help Plz.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntLove5Ever

Myrmica Help Plz.

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:44 pm

First off I finally learned how to embed images
My myrmica queen she's a treat to watch eating in her test tube (I have a secret watching setup to reduce stress from light so don't worry) Second off I am a new ant keeper and this is my first queen and prob my last because of this being the end of nup flights for 2016, and I have only found her. so goes without saying I basically suck at ant keeping at this point . (but i did marathon all AC videos so yay me) and I have a kind of idea of basic stuff but I have no experience in pre formicarium care. The questions here are what to do now, I have her in a test tube setup, and I fed her yesterday, and took the food out to prevent mold. What can I expect from her before hibernation time? Will she have eggs? larvae? maybe even some workers? I have no clue is what I'm saying. Also do I feed them during hibernation? Essentially a myrmica tutorial from now that i have her in a test tube setup, until I put her and her colony into a formicarium

(I was told by this forum that this is a queen so if it isn't don't blame me XD But I'm pretty sure she is that thorax looks pretty hefty.)

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Myrmica Help Plz.

Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:03 am

Hey,

Yes she is a queen and I do hope that it worked out for you. If she's semi claustral then you can keep going with feeding her every so ofter, but if she isn't then you should try to avoid feeding her too much without workers since it may stress her out.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.