Feeding Frustrations

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntChuck

Feeding Frustrations

Sat May 23, 2020 12:34 am

My Tetramorium colony has been extremely picky with the food they consume... The first week after ending their hibernation they went after virtually anything I gave them but now it seems they refuse to eat. Insects, moist cat food, fish flakes and quite a few human foods that the large wild colonies swarm have gone mostly untouched. I thought perhaps it was just because they had enough food stored and not enough brood to feed at first but then I brood boosted... hundreds of larva were given to them from the large colony outside. They retrieved them all but despite the clear need for food they seem to only be feeding their original brood. I have watched about 25% of the stolen brood wither and be discarded which has forced me to clean the AC portal much more frequently. A bit disappointing to say the least.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

Hawkeye

Re: Feeding Frustrations

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:09 am

Are that species notorious for being picky with their food? All I can think of is insert some pieces of fruit and a number of flightless/wing less fruit flies. The ants might appreciate the life food more and the flies will likely multiply.
I have done that in my outworld so feeding the ants is now pretty easy for the time being, until my colony gets bigger.