Maple Syrup too sticky?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Aadas123

Maple Syrup too sticky?

Fri May 22, 2020 12:46 pm

I recently got a messor barbarus queen. She has a whole bunch of eggs of all sizes and 3 workers so I thought it was time to feed them some suggar for the first time. I also noticed the cotton connected to the tube was kind of dry so I decided to create another tube setup and connect the 2 so she can move into the new one which is wetter since I didn't want to poke the cotton she has the eggs at any deeper and risk them drowning. Anyways, when I connected the tubes I thought it was a good time to also feed them so just before I connected them, I dropped in a tiny bit of maple syrup. The queen was quite stressed and moved a lot, also across the syrup once. I immidately noticed her leg started sticking to the glass and got some wet cotton to remove the maple syrup. She's still quite stressed and seems to be still sticky but it looks like she's cleaning herself now. I hope it turns out OK.

Is maple syrup not suitable ant suggar? Isn't honey just as sticky? Also, did I even have to feed them yet? I assume the queen can take care of herself for quite some time but what about the workers? They exist for a few days now and I'm afraid they might starve.

Aadas123

Re: Maple Syrup too sticky?

Sat May 23, 2020 9:23 am

Just thought I'd post an update: The queen cleaned herself up & is doing just fine now. I cleaned the tube as much as I could without stressing out the queen and workers too much and placed a tiny piece of strawberry.