Beginner ants

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

TallIndianKid

Beginner ants

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:18 am

I live down under, so some forums and that don't really help, but I'm looking for an easy to keep ant species. So anyone got any idea for easy to keep ants?

qwerty264

Re: Beginner ants

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:41 pm

most of the time, ant species that strictly can only be found in forests, natural surroundings, are usually more sensitive and die more easily when kept as pets. On the other hand, ant that likes to be around your kitchen, lives inside cracks, harsh enviroments, invasive species (not encouraging you to keep ants that are NOT native to your country, dont do that), and are usually found everywhere are the hardy and very suitable for begginers. These are species like lasius niger, yellow crazy ants, pavement ants, ghost ants, and many more. Just be sure to do your research beforehand and make sure you have the correct setup and that you are willing and able to take care of them. As for catching them, most alates like being near a source of light. You will just have to wait for their nuptial flight which usually happens in season changes (mostly from winter to spring). There will be more of them in places that are near natural surroundings and greenery. If you spot ant workers around, there is bound to be alates flying around during nuptial flights. Nuptial flights also tend to happen after a very heavy storm. I once visited Europe during their change of season from winter to spring and in the morning, there were hundreds of lasius niger alates covering the ground (i was staying in a hotel that was towards the countryside and was covered in nature). look out for those season changes and sudden heavy storms. Good luck!

AnAlternative

Re: Beginner ants

Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:48 am

Most fully claustral species like pheidole, camponotus, ets. are great beginner ants. I'd say just take your chances, as the easiest kept ants are often the most common in an area. It is possible to keep an invasive ant species, just make sure it is legal in your area, and that it has been there for a while. Good luck :)