New to ant keeping and need advice!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Avocuddle

New to ant keeping and need advice!

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi! I've been wanting my own ant colony for at least a year now, been doing a bit of research now and then. A few days ago I finally noticed a nuptial flight and caught three queens, pretty sure Ochetellus Glaber. One died because the sponge in her set up wasn't soaking the water for some reason, and I was wondering if there's any way to prevent that in the future? I put one of them in some soil in a plastic jar because I didn't have anything else. Stupid me forgot to sterilize it, is it safe? I noticed a tiny bit of mold growing on the side of the container. The other queen is doing well.

I also caught another queen of a different species, she's even smaller than the O.Glaber queen and she has an average sized gaster but her thorax is big and has what seems to be a wing scar, so I'm sure she is a queen. She is semi-claustral I think, which explains the small gaster. What should I feed her, and how much? I put her in a small container with a canola oil barrier which is working well. I put a kind of test tube in and some shallow soil, but she isnt going in the test tube, just hiding in the dirt that is way too shallow for a nest. What can I do? She's been in there for two days now.

I wasn't able to find her so no pictures, but she's about three mm long, rather long and thin legs compared with the O.Glaber queen, shiny black, red tinted legs and mouth. The only species similar that I know of are white-footed house ants(Technomyrmex jocosus), but she seems a bit small to be a queen of the species.

Sorry if I have bad English.

Wow this is long

Whitelotus

Re: New to ant keeping and need advice!

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:39 pm

For the test tube set up, I advise using cotton as a method of keeping the water in. For your queen in the soil jar, do you have proper ventilation in the jar? It might explain the mold growth, but I am not so sure.

The other queen about 3mm in length, you do not need to feed her right away. You can provide a tiny drop of honey to giver her a bit of energy, but she will have food stored in her body during the founding stage. You can feed her insects, seeds, or other foods they are into once the first workers come in. The queen in your small container with canola oil barrier might feel more safer in soil compared to the test tube you have set up. If you want her to move in to the test tube, you could put her in by force but you risk hurting the queen.

I am unable to identify queens you have based on the description. Apologies for this.

Hopefully this information will help.