Help with Lasius Niger

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

c1gar5

Help with Lasius Niger

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:14 am

Hello

I've wanted an ant colony for many years (since I was a kid). Wife has finally allowed me to have one, and thought it would be good to do with my kids but have had an idea and need help.

I'm from the uk and I was going to get Lasius Niger for my 1st colony. Was thinking about a formicarium from the Omni range and with how I had envisioned setting it up, it would be under a constant soft light. My question is whould this stress the queen and colony out? Any help will be really appreciated.

AusAnts

Re: Help with Lasius Niger

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:41 am

c1gar5 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:14 am
Hello

I've wanted an ant colony for many years (since I was a kid). Wife has finally allowed me to have one, and thought it would be good to do with my kids but have had an idea and need help.

I'm from the uk and I was going to get Lasius Niger for my 1st colony. Was thinking about a formicarium from the Omni range and with how I had envisioned setting it up, it would be under a constant soft light. My question is whould this stress the queen and colony out? Any help will be really appreciated.
a light would stress them out. But you can put a red film over the nest to trick them into feeling like its still dark
2 x iridomyrmex sp Queen:15+ workers
2 x iridomyrmex pallidus: 40+ workers
1 x pheidole megacephala:2 queen 300 workers.
1 x opisthopsis Queen: 14 workers

antnest8

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:35 pm

Ants will eventually get used to the light. Usually ant keepers want there ants in the dark because it is more natural for them but, also one you get your ants accustomed to light, you lose a valuable way of moving them out of a old setup via shining a light on them.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

c1gar5

Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:30 am

Thank you very much for your replies.

I have a plan for something that will mean I require them lit, but wanted to make sure it wasn't going to adversley effect the ant first. I'll let you all know my plans when I can get them moving in the right direction.