Need help, Queen has abandoned nest?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

LasiusGolbs

Need help, Queen has abandoned nest?

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:44 am

Hi guys, new here, first post.

Roughly 24 hours ago I 'rescued' an ant queen, some workers and some eggs from a wild gardener which i believe to be Lasius Flavus. I've since noticed the queen behaving very strangely (perhaps this can be attributed to the loss of her original nest).
What i've noticed is that the queen is constantly trying to move as far away as possible from any workers. I have a small set up to buy me some time to get a proper formicarium, photo here: http://imgur.com/a/jn8wd.
At the bottom of the image is the pot i managed to gather them in, and even in the pot, the queen would stay at the top away from the workers. This is in a larger plastic box with some gravel, water pot, honey and some technic axles to allow them to get in and out of the round pot easier. Inside the pot is some soil and roughly 25 workers which have burrowed and hidden the eggs.
At the top of the image you can see the queen against the wall of the box. This is where she stays 90% of the time so far. occasionally she will roam but will pay no attention to food or water and will always return to that spot. Also she will lunge at and grapple any worker that roams within reach.

I'm worried that she has somehow abandoned all eggs and workers. Initially I thought that she couldn't get back in to the round pot so I coaxed her on to a utensil and put her back in to it; she freaked, climbed out and went back to the spot I had moved her from as if she is fleeing from danger.

Is this normal behaviour? I'm pretty sure this colony will fail if the queen continues to behave this way.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated as I am completely lost with this.

Thanks,
Golbs

LasiusGolbs

Re: Need help, Queen has abandoned nest?

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:09 am

Image from link

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:35 am

The workers are probably not hers? how do they interact with each other?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

LasiusGolbs

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:04 am

Batspiderfish wrote:The workers are probably not hers? how do they interact with each other?
Really badly...
They have to be hers. I found her in the nest next to the eggs surrounded in workers.
Unless some random queen managed to wander in there without being killed just as i arrived, they have to be hers, right?

Do the pheromones wear off over time? Can they forget or not know who their own are after a while?

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:11 am

It is the latter half of the Lasius mating season, so she might have just formed a claustral cell nearby. You can give her some of the Lasius brood to let her have a head start if something weird is going on, but give her her own test tube.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

LasiusGolbs

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Ok thank you for your suggestion, I'll transfer her to a test-tube if this craziness keeps up :P

LasiusGolbs

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:49 pm

UPDATE

Queen was transferred to her own pot and has now laid eggs :)

I'm now super excited to to see how this colony goes