Will the ants move if it’s too hot or will bake themselves?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

aznphenom

Will the ants move if it’s too hot or will bake themselves?

Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:10 am

I am very unsure about the whole heating thing when it comes to ants. The seller of my formicarium said that I shouldn’t use a heating source as long as the room temperature is 60-70F then I should be fine because it will be hotter in the little formicarium. It is very similar to the mini hearth from Tarheel Ants. I was under the impression that I should need a heat source. If I was to get a heat source and use it, are the ants smart enough to move out to the outworld if it gets too hot or will they bake themselves? How do I know if it’s too hot or too cold? Or is humidity the only thing I should worry about?

Thanks
Brand new to the Ant world. Nov 2019. USA. Hoping to get started soon or next spring.

Hawkeye

Re: Will the ants move if it’s too hot or will bake themselves?

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:48 am

aznphenom wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:10 am
I am very unsure about the whole heating thing when it comes to ants. The seller of my formicarium said that I shouldn’t use a heating source as long as the room temperature is 60-70F then I should be fine because it will be hotter in the little formicarium. It is very similar to the mini hearth from Tarheel Ants. I was under the impression that I should need a heat source. If I was to get a heat source and use it, are the ants smart enough to move out to the outworld if it gets too hot or will they bake themselves? How do I know if it’s too hot or too cold? Or is humidity the only thing I should worry about?

Thanks
If the ants think it is too hot, they will try to find colder places, if they are available. Ideally you would want a heat gradient in your formicarium, so it varies in temperature from room temp to warm. In order to reach the gradient, you can simply warm up just a part of the nest. Use a thermometer to check. The ants will find their goldylocks position on their own.