How to ""persuade"" ants to move from their nest testube.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

loupgaroupgris

How to ""persuade"" ants to move from their nest testube.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:52 pm

Like the title says i need help trying to force my small colonie to move from one test tube to the other. Problem is they dont seem to want to move. I'm exposing them to light and all but they still seem to be content. I'm worried because the old testube that they are in now is getting moldy and most of the water as evaporated. Does anyone have any tips they can offer? I would forcefully move them but im not sure if theirs eggs in the nest so I was hoping that when they moved any possible egg would be relocated.

(They where exposed to light from my nearby aquarium for about a week now. Though i usually end up shutting it off when i go to sleep. Am i suppose to keep a light on them 24/7 until they move? Also these are a canadian species from Ontario. It is close to there hibernation i presume so i dont know if that as anything to do with it. Its also a starter colonie with about 5 to 6 workers.)

Ant108

Re: How to ""persuade"" ants to move from their nest testube.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:09 pm

If you haven't already taped moldy and new test tube together do this first. Don't force them. You can wrap new tube to make dark be careful using a light and burning them. It's important to have new tube option and if they feel the need they will move but, be very very patient. Best to have clean tube before hibernation. Maybe someone has better advice. Good luck.
Keeper of:
* Messor Barbarus
* 1 Crematogaster Scutellaris queen 1 worker.

Hawkeye

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:30 am

loupgaroupgris wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:52 pm
Like the title says i need help trying to force my small colonie to move from one test tube to the other. Problem is they dont seem to want to move. I'm exposing them to light and all but they still seem to be content. I'm worried because the old testube that they are in now is getting moldy and most of the water as evaporated. Does anyone have any tips they can offer? I would forcefully move them but im not sure if theirs eggs in the nest so I was hoping that when they moved any possible egg would be relocated.

(They where exposed to light from my nearby aquarium for about a week now. Though i usually end up shutting it off when i go to sleep. Am i suppose to keep a light on them 24/7 until they move? Also these are a canadian species from Ontario. It is close to there hibernation i presume so i dont know if that as anything to do with it. Its also a starter colonie with about 5 to 6 workers.)
You could always try to ask them politely? Haha just kidding. Like Ant108 said, make sure they have access to the new tube, and make sure that one is nice and dark. Try luring them with a tiny droplet of honey deep down the tube.
Not sure what kind of light you used, but you might have inadvertently created a hot spot (temperature wise) which the ants prefer so much that they're willing to accept the light.
A heating mat under the new tube might help. Or move the light to the new one to heat it up and use a strong led light on the old one.
Some colonies are more stubborn than others, so patience is a virtue

loupgaroupgris

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Its been two weeks now and they still haven't moved. I'm getting kind of worried because i can assume Canadian ants need to be hibernated by this time. So should i just force them? I'm assuming the queen does not lay eggs when preparing for winter so she should not be leaving some behind when i move them right?

""I know thread that already have a couple answers dont really get attention but I would really like a reply from anyone honestly, im afraid of loosing them by doing something wrong.'"

Hawkeye

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:58 am

loupgaroupgris wrote:
Its been two weeks now and they still haven't moved. I'm getting kind of worried because i can assume Canadian ants need to be hibernated by this time. So should i just force them? I'm assuming the queen does not lay eggs when preparing for winter so she should not be leaving some behind when i move them right?

""I know thread that already have a couple answers dont really get attention but I would really like a reply from anyone honestly, im afraid of loosing them by doing something wrong.'"
If you quote anyone they should automatically get a message, drawing their attention to your post. And if you click on 'your posts' from the drop down menu, you get to see all the threads you've posted in which have new messages.

That said, could you tell us what you've done in the meantime to encourage your ants emigration?
In my recollection you had a starting colony with about 5 workers, close to hibernation. You have an old tube and a new tube (covered) taped together. The old tube was running out of water (has it run out yet?)

Now first and foremost ants are very picky on where they live and suitable conditions. So even though the old tube might look unsuitable to us, they might be perfectly happy with it. Living underground ants are accustomed to being around moulds and such, and they are perfectly equipped to distinguish which moulds are fine (digesting their poop and waste) and which are dangerous. So as long as your ants have access to water in the new tube, I wouldn't worry about it for the time being.

As for hibernation, I'd expect Canadian ants to hibernate indeed, to deal with the sub zero conditions of your winters. Your ants might have in fact already started hibernation. Could you give an indication as to how active they are? If they are hardly moving at all, they're in hibernation mode. They won't require food and very little water for the next couple of months.

loupgaroupgris

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:23 am

Hawkeye wrote:
loupgaroupgris wrote:

If you quote anyone they should automatically get a message, drawing their attention to your post. And if you click on 'your posts' from the drop down menu, you get to see all the threads you've posted in which have new messages.

That said, could you tell us what you've done in the meantime to encourage your ants emigration?
In my recollection you had a starting colony with about 5 workers, close to hibernation. You have an old tube and a new tube (covered) taped together. The old tube was running out of water (has it run out yet?)

Now first and foremost ants are very picky on where they live and suitable conditions. So even though the old tube might look unsuitable to us, they might be perfectly happy with it. Living underground ants are accustomed to being around moulds and such, and they are perfectly equipped to distinguish which moulds are fine (digesting their poop and waste) and which are dangerous. So as long as your ants have access to water in the new tube, I wouldn't worry about it for the time being.

As for hibernation, I'd expect Canadian ants to hibernate indeed, to deal with the sub zero conditions of your winters. Your ants might have in fact already started hibernation. Could you give an indication as to how active they are? If they are hardly moving at all, they're in hibernation mode. They won't require food and very little water for the next couple of months.
Well I have been shinning a light on them all this time, though its not on 24/7. Its the light from my aquarium, I keep it on at least for 10 hours so my plants are ok. I have disturbed them on occasion by accident and they have moved to the new tube but they never stay there.I tried having the new tube be exposed to the light to see if heat was the thing but nothing happened. I did also gave them a cricket that i was planing to feed them before they went hibernating, its at the middle of the two tubes. I was hoping it would attract them.

I've just taken a look now an it seems like the old tube is dry,though if somehow some water is still present then i cant see it so its probably absorbed by the cotton.

If I dont touch the tube they dont move at all. So its possible that they are hibernating. It is cold now and snow is on the ground so maybe they sense that? I'm not sure when i'm suppose to hibernate them.

I've been thinking, how suicidal and stubborn are ants? If i was to lets say leave them in the old tube but attach a test tube portal and a new tube with fresh water would they move on their own eventually during the winter? Or will they dehydrate themselves in some stupid stubborn way?

Hawkeye

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:58 am

loupgaroupgris wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:23 am
Hawkeye wrote:
loupgaroupgris wrote:

Well I have been shinning a light on them all this time, though its not on 24/7. Its the light from my aquarium, I keep it on at least for 10 hours so my plants are ok. I have disturbed them on occasion by accident and they have moved to the new tube but they never stay there.I tried having the new tube be exposed to the light to see if heat was the thing but nothing happened. I did also gave them a cricket that i was planing to feed them before they went hibernating, its at the middle of the two tubes. I was hoping it would attract them.

I've just taken a look now an it seems like the old tube is dry,though if somehow some water is still present then i cant see it so its probably absorbed by the cotton.

If I dont touch the tube they dont move at all. So its possible that they are hibernating. It is cold now and snow is on the ground so maybe they sense that? I'm not sure when i'm suppose to hibernate them.

I've been thinking, how suicidal and stubborn are ants? If i was to lets say leave them in the old tube but attach a test tube portal and a new tube with fresh water would they move on their own eventually during the winter? Or will they dehydrate themselves in some stupid stubborn way?
If they're not moving they are already hibernating. They have a kind of built-in biological clock which tells them it's time to shutdown for the winter. So you can probably shine a light at them all you want, but they won't move. They likely will have stored enough food and water in their stomachs and social stomachs to get them through the winter. So they should be okay. If not, they will search for water should they need to.

Best thing you can do is just leave the setup as is, and put the entire thing in the dark and at temperatures between 5-10 degrees Celsius. After they're done hibernating they will likely migrate to the new tube on their own.

Hawkeye

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:04 am

Forgot to mention you should remove the cricket as they likely won't eat it and it will just rot.

Furthermore it seems unlikely the led (?) Light from your aquarium would generate enough heat to affect the temperature in the tube.

Btw what kind of aquarium have you got? And what kind of inhabitants?

loupgaroupgris

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:04 am
Forgot to mention you should remove the cricket as they likely won't eat it and it will just rot.

Furthermore it seems unlikely the led (?) Light from your aquarium would generate enough heat to affect the temperature in the tube.

Btw what kind of aquarium have you got? And what kind of inhabitants?
Its this one 20 gallon, https://petvalu.com/product/scm01554/led-aquarium-kit-aqueon/

Was planing on removing that cricket soon. Think i will do what you said and just put them in hibernation like this, will attach a portal and a fresh tube with it just in case.

Hopefully everything will be good and I will get to grow the colonie after winter. Thanks for the help by the way.

loupgaroupgris

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Also i was planing on feeding them a bit of honey too before I hibernated them, so they could get both sugar and proteins, should i still do that?