Hibernating queen with brood?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

DCheezi

Hibernating queen with brood?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:12 am

I have a L Niger queen and shes been taking well enough care of her brood, and the workers have been taking honey and feeding her with it. Now it's getting fairly cold in the UK and I believe they should be starting hibernation, but should I be waiting for the brood she has to grow and hatch and pupate first or will they survive hibernation? Will the queen and workers hibernate while there are eggs to take care of? :( They're still living in their test tube in a foraging area so there should be enough humidity to help them keep the brood moist, but if that's not enough the brood will die, right? :cry: not sure what I should do for them
Keeper of founding L. Niger colony (~10 workers)
Keeper of founding M. Barbarus colony (20-30 media and minor workers) :)

Ant108

Re: Hibernating queen with brood?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Most of my test tubes were too small and could only hold smaller amounts of water. This created problems for keeping over long periods, always running low on water. It's best to have a bunch of AC test tubes on hand they are better for long term use. I got test tubes from the **** and they are too small. You don't want to run out of water during hibernation.
Keeper of:
* Messor Barbarus
* 1 Crematogaster Scutellaris queen 1 worker.

DCheezi

Re: Hibernating queen with brood?

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:10 am

Ant108 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:55 pm
Most of my test tubes were too small and could only hold smaller amounts of water. This created problems for keeping over long periods, always running low on water. It's best to have a bunch of AC test tubes on hand they are better for long term use. I got test tubes from the **** and they are too small. You don't want to run out of water during hibernation.
Thank you for the reply :D , I do understand that they shouldn't run out of water during hibernation and the thing I need help with is how to go about hibernating a queen that has only 4 workers and 20-30 eggs. The test tube she arrived in still has lots of water, but I guess that when it runs out I either have to make them move into the formicarium or use bug gel?
Keeper of founding L. Niger colony (~10 workers)
Keeper of founding M. Barbarus colony (20-30 media and minor workers) :)