Please help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

PixieXV

Please help

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:23 pm

I found a lasius niger queen on the 2nd August and she laid some eggs which still haven't hatched, the water has run out and I don't know what to do. I've tried attaching another tube but she doesn't want to move. She is still standing over her eggs but shouldn't they have hatched by now? I found her on holiday and it was a hot, bumpy 5 hour drive home, I'm worried that her eggs might be dead. Please can anyone help?

Vincex

Re: Please help

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:51 pm

I have 4 lasius queens I caught at end of July and there still standing over the eggs so it's not unusual you could just keep the cotton your blocking the test tube wet ! That would give her a drink . You could maybe try some protein but niger are fully claustral so she shouldn't need it .it's also hibernation time so the eggs might not develep at all
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

PixieXV

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:58 am

Thankyou for your help, that's very reassuring. I will wait another month and then put her somewhere cold to hibernate. (Hopefully by then she will have moved to the tube with water)

UnrealSparks

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am

Have you tried covering the new test tube and shining a bright light on the old one?

Also, during hibernation she must have a viable source of fresh water, but on the other hand, since she's fully claustral, she won't need any food until the first workers hatch.

And for the brood, is it still just tiny eggs or can you see any cocoon in there? If there's only eggs they'll develop after winter, once hibernation will be over.
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

PixieXV

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Yes, they are just tiny eggs still.
I tried sunlight on the old tube but when it didn't work I covered her up again, with the new tube attached hoping she would move towards the water in her own time. I'll try a desk lamp though now, let you know how it goes.

PixieXV

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:11 am

OK, she has moved the eggs to the tube with plenty of water after using the bright light.
Thanks so much for your advice :D

UnrealSparks

Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:40 am

PixieXV wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:11 am
OK, she has moved the eggs to the tube with plenty of water after using the bright light.
Thanks so much for your advice :D
No problem! Glad it easily worked out! :)
If you still have any question/doubts feel free to leave them below. ;)
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus