Beginner help and ant moving

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Kserkso

Beginner help and ant moving

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Hello, so I have small lasius niger colony, they spent all water in their test tube and its all dirty so I connected a fresh test tube with tape for them to move in. I removed cover from old test tube and put it on new one but it has passed a few weeks now and they don't look like they intend to move. So will they move or im doing something wrong or they just like their old tube? Also it seems to me that they are less active than before they just stand in place. And im wondering can they run out of air if I connected two test tubes with tape?

Thanks in advance!

UnrealSparks

Re: Beginner help and ant moving

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:05 am

Hello!
Have you tried shining a bright light on the old test tube?
Also, what temperature are they kept at?
(I'm asking this because they may be getting ready for winter, and this may be the cause of such inactivity).
Check their brood as an additional clue. When they're ready their brood should stop developing. So you'll usually see just tiny eggs not growing in size and not turning into larvae, while the already existing larvae will turn into pupae, then workers.

As for the limited amount of air don't worry. They need such a small amount they'll survive for weeks in two taped test tubes. But if you don't want to risk it just poke some tiny holes with a needle or don't tape all the way around, leave a tiny gap for the air to flow.

Hope this helps! :)
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus