Camponotus Brood of Questionable Quality

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Dalish

Camponotus Brood of Questionable Quality

Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:34 pm

Hello, I just came into possession of a Camponotus queen, it has one worker and a clump of brood of various stages of development however most looks to be on the rougher side. The worker and queen mess with them now and again but I really do not want bad brood to contaminate the whole test tube. The queen just laid a new egg and it has not been added to the cluster of existing brood. Any suggestions? Leave it, remove it? Thankyou for your time.

Hawkeye

Re: Camponotus Brood of Questionable Quality

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:17 am

Dalish wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:34 pm
Hello, I just came into possession of a Camponotus queen, it has one worker and a clump of brood of various stages of development however most looks to be on the rougher side. The worker and queen mess with them now and again but I really do not want bad brood to contaminate the whole test tube. The queen just laid a new egg and it has not been added to the cluster of existing brood. Any suggestions? Leave it, remove it? Thankyou for your time.
If the eggs/brood are unviable, the ants will try to either dispose of them themselves, or eat them. (Great source of protein) The person who sold you the queen might have transferred the brood from a different colony. That is known as brood boosting.
I would leave everything as is for now. Meanwhile you're more than welcome to join our Camponotus Crew thread if you'd like to exchange ideas and experiences with fellow Carpenter ant keepers.