pogonomyrmex occidentalis keep eating their own pupa?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

DarrellD

pogonomyrmex occidentalis keep eating their own pupa?

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:20 am

I'm at an utter loss for words. I got a boosted colony from Tarheelants and I've moved them into the foundation Formica,given them plenty of seeds water and they been drinking a mix of the ant liquid food mixed with organic honey. Just yesterday I was excited to see one of the queens own pupa was starting to move and was nearly fully developed and would be up and about by the time I get home in the morning from work.
I come home to find the two boosted workers that came with the queen one with the decapitated head of the new worker in its head the other eating its corpse....it makes no sense its as if these workers are legitimately self sabotaging any progression. There was nothing wrong with the pupa it was on that point of beginning to awaken. I'm starting to get a bit depressed that its going to continue until there's nothing left I just don't know what to do at this point.
They did this same thing twice in the test tube setup they came in and so moved them a week or so ago and kept heat proper and humidity proper. I'm getting very frustrated and cannot figure out why they would kill a new worker who was moving as it was shedding off last skin to begin life.
Does anyone know why this keeps happening I have had them for 3 or so weeks now and the two workers who came with her seem to keep doing this! :cry:

antperson24

Re: pogonomyrmex occidentalis keep eating their own pupa?

Mon May 15, 2023 8:44 am

DarrellD wrote:
I'm at an utter loss for words. I got a boosted colony from Tarheelants and I've moved them into the foundation Formica,given them plenty of seeds water and they been drinking a mix of the ant liquid food mixed with organic honey. Just yesterday I was excited to see one of the queens own pupa was starting to move and was nearly fully developed and would be up and about by the time I get home in the morning from work.
I come home to find the two boosted workers that came with the queen one with the decapitated head of the new worker in its head the other eating its corpse....it makes no sense its as if these workers are legitimately self sabotaging any progression. There was nothing wrong with the pupa it was on that point of beginning to awaken. I'm starting to get a bit depressed that its going to continue until there's nothing left I just don't know what to do at this point.
They did this same thing twice in the test tube setup they came in and so moved them a week or so ago and kept heat proper and humidity proper. I'm getting very frustrated and cannot figure out why they would kill a new worker who was moving as it was shedding off last skin to begin life.
Does anyone know why this keeps happening I have had them for 3 or so weeks now and the two workers who came with her seem to keep doing this! :cry:
I don't think the brood boosted workers share the same sent as the original workers. You may need to remove the brood boosted workers, otherwise I think they will keep killing all the new workers.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: pogonomyrmex occidentalis keep eating their own pupa?

Sat May 27, 2023 11:38 am

DarrellD wrote:
Stress lack of food lack of protein lack of sugar water lack of heat etc would cause this

Just anything making the ants uncomfortable
When you accidentally reply to yourself…