Mass Nanatic transfer

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntChuck

Mass Nanatic transfer

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Well one of my three multi queen tetramorium colonies finally had their battle for power. Unfortunately both were mortally wounded, both were missing multiple legs and antenna. They were still alive but the colony would be unlikely to survive. They had 21 nanatics and around 20-30 brood mostly larva. I removed the queens and attached the tube to my main tetramorium colony. In the past ive introduced up to 6 nanatics to this colony with no issues. Unfortunately this time was a bit different. Initially it seemed fine... two nanatics from the tube entered into the set up and were with their new colony no issues. Then a third entered and it was attacked... a few more were being attacked when i went to bed. This morning i checked and expected to see alot of corpses but only saw 4 dead nanatics. The rest seemed to have become part of the colony... strange though that they seemed to select a few to be killed like some sort of entry cost lol.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

antperson24

Re: Mass Nanatic transfer

Mon May 22, 2023 12:34 pm

AntChuck wrote:
Well one of my three multi queen tetramorium colonies finally had their battle for power. Unfortunately both were mortally wounded, both were missing multiple legs and antenna. They were still alive but the colony would be unlikely to survive. They had 21 nanatics and around 20-30 brood mostly larva. I removed the queens and attached the tube to my main tetramorium colony. In the past ive introduced up to 6 nanatics to this colony with no issues. Unfortunately this time was a bit different. Initially it seemed fine... two nanatics from the tube entered into the set up and were with their new colony no issues. Then a third entered and it was attacked... a few more were being attacked when i went to bed. This morning i checked and expected to see alot of corpses but only saw 4 dead nanatics. The rest seemed to have become part of the colony... strange though that they seemed to select a few to be killed like some sort of entry cost lol.
That is interesting. Perhaps while they were killing the four the rest slipped through.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu May 25, 2023 8:28 pm

AntChuck wrote:
Pleo is always a risking way to go. Workers most likely wont be accepted
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntChuck

Mon May 29, 2023 10:44 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:28 pm
AntChuck wrote:
Pleo is always a risking way to go. Workers most likely wont be accepted
It actually did work.The colony accepted all.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis