New Ant Keeper - Black Cocktail Ants

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

MaeganWink

New Ant Keeper - Black Cocktail Ants

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:07 am

Hello everyone!

I'm a high school Ecology/Marine Science/Biology teacher and a new ant keeper!

I recently got my first queen and workers from a GAN farmer yesterday. He says they are a type of Crematogaster. They are all black, so I'm assuming they are Black Cocktail Ants (Crematogaster peringueyi) but I'm not 100% sure.

I've ordered an Ant Tower from AC for them. I was told by the GAN farmer that they need heat, so I have a heating pad wrapped in a towel on one side of the current test-tube setup.

Does anyone have any tips for these guys, especially when it comes to heat? I don't want to overheat them, but obviously I want to keep them warm enough. If it is the species I think it is, they're from a warmer climate so the heat would mate sense.

Overall suggestions?

antperson24

Re: New Ant Keeper - Black Cocktail Ants

Sat May 20, 2023 7:59 am

MaeganWink wrote:
Hello everyone!

I recently got my first queen and workers from a GAN farmer yesterday. He says they are a type of Crematogaster. They are all black, so I'm assuming they are Black Cocktail Ants (Crematogaster peringueyi) but I'm not 100% sure.

I've ordered an Ant Tower from AC for them. I was told by the GAN farmer that they need heat, so I have a heating pad wrapped in a towel on one side of the current test-tube setup.

Does anyone have any tips for these guys, especially when it comes to heat? I don't want to overheat them, but obviously I want to keep them warm enough. If it is the species I think it is, they're from a warmer climate so the heat would mate sense.

Overall suggestions?
A heating cable from AC would work best, as they are made for ants.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: New Ant Keeper - Black Cocktail Ants

Sat May 27, 2023 11:36 am

MaeganWink wrote:
Hello everyone!

Overall suggestions?
Zoomed heating cable plus a good humidity gradient

They should prefer wood nests so….
When you accidentally reply to yourself…