Concerns with Mold/Hibernation

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jackorias

Concerns with Mold/Hibernation

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 am

Hi everyone! So this is my first time keeping and raising up ant queens and so far it's been really fun and going really well!

I currently have some concern though over a couple of my tubes. Two of my set ups have gotten mold on the cotton wool. I've read that a little bit of mold is not an urgent issue and that trying to get them to move set up should be a last resort. The worry is that under a month the ants (both UK Lasius Niger) will begin to hibernate for about 6 months.

Will they be ok over the 6 months with their cotton already beginning to mold? Or should I try to encourage them to make the move before hibernation begins?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated, thank you in advance for your time/knowledge.

mickster287

Re: Concerns with Mold/Hibernation

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:28 pm

i would recommend taping a new test tube covered in tinfoil so its dark and then leaving the molded test tube exposed to light to see if she moves, the current mold level doesn't seem to bad but in another 4 to 5 month could be a bit worse.

Jackorias

Re: Concerns with Mold/Hibernation

Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Thank you very much for your reply <3 I've connected them up to new tubes and have left them in the light as much as I can manage. Unfortunately they seem quite stubborn so for now I've decided to just put them away still attached to new tubes in the hopes that during hibernation if they have real issue they'll have another tube to retreat to.