Can Vaseline kill nanitics?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Geffbro

Re: Can Vaseline kill nanitics?

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:49 pm

I don't know much but my tiny little tetramoriums dont even get stuck in the honey when i smear it inside their test tube, so i wouldn't be afraid of that. I guess just make sure to drag your honey dispensing utensil some short distance so its not in one super puddle

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Disinfecting the outworld probably won't do anything except potentially introduce chemical hazards to the ants. It's easy to go too far when you're trying to fix a problem for your ants.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Varanid

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Ok, so I will skip that step. Wish me luck, going to fix it up tonight and reintroduce them tomorrow night.

Marandola

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Wait, are you giving them distilled water to drink? I guess it's not good to them, because the ants will not be able to get some minerals, developing a deficiency on these substances.

Varanid

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:37 pm

I fthought distilled would be the way to go, I know tap water is out because of the chlorine. And from what I have read about bottled drinking water, it is not much better than tap water. Did not think about minerals in the water.

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:04 pm

I'm pretty sure the ants would be getting minerals from their food anyways.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Varanid

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:24 pm

Still not positive what killed the nanitics. I still suspect the vaseline, it could be coincidence but I am not taking any chances. Thanks for the help guys. I really do appreciate it. Have cleaned the outworld and applied talcum and alcohol mix. It is drying as we speak, hoping it keeps the ants in and that I do not lose any more nanitics. The queen has a ton of brood, in all stages. If I can keep these two nanitics alive long enough for these to develop it should be a healthy colony. She is sitting on what looks like a mountain of brood :). Hoping this takes care of the problem.