130 days no workers

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

RvBVakama

130 days no workers

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:53 pm

I caught two queen ants back during the end of june, this means they've been just chilling for 130 days-ish in a couple tupperware containers in the dark with food water and honey. They still seem livley, but I am wondering when might want to have their first workers. Could it be that when I caught them they were at prime time but I scared them and now they won't until next year. Or is it because they dont have any weather cues to go on?

PS. I believe they are meat ants.

antperson24

Re: 130 days no workers

Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:35 am

RvBVakama wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:53 pm
I caught two queen ants back during the end of june, this means they've been just chilling for 130 days-ish in a couple tupperware containers in the dark with food water and honey. They still seem livley, but I am wondering when might want to have their first workers. Could it be that when I caught them they were at prime time but I scared them and now they won't until next year. Or is it because they dont have any weather cues to go on?

PS. I believe they are meat ants.

Well, they are Camponotus, so that makes them slow growers, but this seems really slow. Try feeding them a small cricket leg.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN