Camponotus Vagus doesn't lay eggs

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

WatschnBaum

Camponotus Vagus doesn't lay eggs

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:34 am

Hey there,

I'm quite new to ant keeping. The AntsCanada youtube channel heated up my interrest for it.

During my vacation middle of June in Italy I got lucky and caught a queen, which I identified as camponotus vagus. (attachments doesn't seem to work at the moment)
She had already lost her wings when I caught her. Since that I followed all the recommendations given as, keeping her in darkness, test tube setup with water and cotton including the red foil cover. As she didn't lay any eggs yet, I'm getting a little bit concerned. From time to time I changed the cotton(messed up by her feces), water and offered her a piece of honey which she ate immediately.
Maybe the 7 hours of driving back home, harmed her(no visible harm) or caused too much stress?
To be honest I don't know what to do.

If you guys have any idea or hint, I would be more than happy.

Thanks already in advance.

PS: sry for my English, please ignore all grammatical errors ;)

Hawkeye

Re: Camponotus Vagus doesn't lay eggs

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:25 am

WatschnBaum wrote:
Hey there,

I'm quite new to ant keeping. The AntsCanada youtube channel heated up my interrest for it.

During my vacation middle of June in Italy I got lucky and caught a queen, which I identified as camponotus vagus. (attachments doesn't seem to work at the moment)
She had already lost her wings when I caught her. Since that I followed all the recommendations given as, keeping her in darkness, test tube setup with water and cotton including the red foil cover. As she didn't lay any eggs yet, I'm getting a little bit concerned. From time to time I changed the cotton(messed up by her feces), water and offered her a piece of honey which she ate immediately.
Maybe the 7 hours of driving back home, harmed her(no visible harm) or caused too much stress?

Is it possible she did lay them, but ate them? The changing of the cotton might have been well intended but likely wasnt neccesary and might have caused her quite a bit of stress. Which makes her think that the nest site she 'found' is unsuitable to lay eggs.

In any case, have you tried offering more food? The yelly of wet cat food might be a good idea to try as it is full of protein, possibly mixed with some honey.

At what temperature do you keep her?

My recommendation would be to offer the food, and leave her be for at least 2 weeks in a dark, undisturbed, vibration-free, room temperature location.

While you're waiting, join the Camponotus Crew (see signature) I know of at least one member who will be very jealous. He's been wanting that species for ages.

WatschnBaum

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:26 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:25 am
WatschnBaum wrote:
Hey there,

Is it possible she did lay them, but ate them? The changing of the cotton might have been well intended but likely wasnt neccesary and might have caused her quite a bit of stress. Which makes her think that the nest site she 'found' is unsuitable to lay eggs.

In any case, have you tried offering more food? The yelly of wet cat food might be a good idea to try as it is full of protein, possibly mixed with some honey.

At what temperature do you keep her?

My recommendation would be to offer the food, and leave her be for at least 2 weeks in a dark, undisturbed, vibration-free, room temperature location.

While you're waiting, join the Camponotus Crew (see signature) I know of at least one member who will be very jealous. He's been wanting that species for ages.
hey, thank you for your quick feedback and inputs.

regarding your questions:
Q: Is it possible she did lay them, but ate them?
A: I wouldn't say that is impossible, but very unlikely. I couldn't see anything like eggs at anytime.

Q: In any case, have you tried offering more food?
A: Not yet, but I'm going to do that now. I got a protein food for ants and will offer it combined with honey and leave her in darkness for the next 2-3 weeks, as you recommended.

Q: At what temperature do you keep her?
A: During summertime the room temperature is around about 26-30°C

I'm going to join the Camponotus Crew in the meanwhile...thanks for the invitation. :)

Hawkeye

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:42 am

The temperature you kept her at was likely too high. You should probably aim at max 25 degrees, unless you have a deep natural setup.