How to get ants used to light?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

EdgarFromLatvia

How to get ants used to light?

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:04 am

Yes, i know, that that will make problems with moving the ants to a new nest later, but i want to see them in their daily duties, and don't want to see them always upset about taking the dark cover off their nest. They will leave their duties and panic. That is what i kind of see happening when other ant keepers take off the sheet.
Of course, i am not going to put them in direct sunlight, because i will cook them dead, but i want to place them somewhere, where i can observe them, that means - in good lighting! Observing, how ants care for their young and how they feed them, how the carry the food through the chambers is the most fun thing about keeping ants, right?
I will observe them at least 3 times a day, because i love ants, so this will make them upset too much! It would be good for them to be all used to light!
Can it be harmful for them? Can i just leave the ants exposed, or do i need to use slightly transparent sheets in the beginning? :?

Batspiderfish

Re: How to get ants used to light?

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:43 am

Don't keep the ants in an area that is too bright, but leaving the nest uncovered is about the only thing to do to acclimate them. If they are in a soil nest, this might cause them to pile dirt against the glass.

You could always consider putting transparent red foil over the nest, which absorbs much of the light that is visible to ants.

My colonies are always uncovered and they seem to do fine for the most part. When I want a good look at them, I just shine a flashlight over them. They generally don't react much at all to my presence unless the room was previously dark.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

EdgarFromLatvia

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:48 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Don't keep the ants in an area that is too bright, but leaving the nest uncovered is about the only thing to do to acclimate them. If they are in a soil nest, this might cause them to pile dirt against the glass.

You could always consider putting transparent red foil over the nest, which absorbs much of the light that is visible to ants.

My colonies are always uncovered and they seem to do fine for the most part. When I want a good look at them, I just shine a flashlight over them. They generally don't react much at all to my presence unless the room was previously dark.

Thanks for the suggestions

noah0517

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:50 pm

Ive learned with my colonies that certain species react to light differently. For example, my Monomoriums scramble at the sudden exposure to light while my Solenopsis continue with daily activities as usual.
1 Monomorium Minumum & 1 Solenopsis Invicta colony owner; Virginia Beach, Va; Nicholas Eisenberg