Making a super colonie

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Minniethedoggo

Making a super colonie

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 pm

I don’t know if this question have been already asked here, but in some AntsCanada’s video he mentioned super colonies with 2-3 queens so I was wondering how can I manage/make one myself without the colonies fighting. I have to 3 Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen with about 5 workers each. Can someone explain me how to integrate at least two queens together? I really don’t know how to do this without one of the groups killing and stinging each other. Thank you for reading!

Hawkeye

Re: Making a super colonie

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:15 am

Aren't the Camponotus a single queen species? They might start off a new fledgling colony together, but queens will most likely turn on each other to claim the colony.

CabboAntsGuy

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:59 am

I've been told that camponotus pennsylvanicus are not a species that works together. In the wild, they might, but no matter what the species, very rarely do queens merge in captivity. Sorry to tell you this. You might try it with two of the queens and if it doesn't work, you still have another. It's about a 30 70 chance.

If you do put them together and they fight and one of them dies, they winner will get the other brood and eggs. SO she will get going faster, but she might also be injured.

Also since you keep camponotus pennsylvanicus, I'll invite you to join Hawkeye's page, "Welcome to the Camponotus Crew". We all keep or want to keep camponotus. It's up to you. :D
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Minniethedoggo

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:20 am

Thank you I be checking out the camponotus crew page !