Is silicone hose strong enough?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

silulilu

Is silicone hose strong enough?

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:21 am

Hey Guys!
I am about to buy new nest for my ants and I am going to connect it with a outworld via silicone hose. My colony reaches around 3000 workers. I have never used this method to connect test tube with water or anything. My formicarium is already with nest and outworld together. I am wondering if the ants would be able to chew through the hose. If yes do you have any alternatives optionions to connect the nest with the arena?

CabboAntsGuy

Re: Is silicone hose strong enough?

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 am

It would probably depend on the species. If the type of ant you are keeping is know form strong jaws and super majors, then it might not be a good Idea. also if they are burrowing ants that chew through wood.
Really though, it should work. I don't know of any species that would be able to chew through that. :D
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Hawkeye

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 am

silulilu wrote:
Hey Guys!
I am about to buy new nest for my ants and I am going to connect it with a outworld via silicone hose. My colony reaches around 3000 workers. I have never used this method to connect test tube with water or anything. My formicarium is already with nest and outworld together. I am wondering if the ants would be able to chew through the hose. If yes do you have any alternatives optionions to connect the nest with the arena?
They shouldn't have any need to chew on the tubes either?

CabboAntsGuy

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:53 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 am
silulilu wrote:
Hey Guys!
They shouldn't have any need to chew on the tubes either?
Unless you don't give them enough space. But if you keep expanding to their needs, then no, they should have no need to chew them.
Keep:
2 formica subsericea
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

silulilu

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:55 pm

I have Messor Barbarus which are know from having strong jaws. The nest I am about to get is 50cm x 30cm I am not sure how is it going to be. They are now in 30x15 and the nest part is all black because of their number. I am not sure if it's going to be enough large nest to make them feel comfortable in it.

So do you guys have any other alternatives options to connect the nest with the outworld?

LasiusSapien

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:27 pm

so from my pc water cooling experience you can buy clear hard tubing its Polyethylene terephthalate so should be fine for the ants if a little on the slippery side

off the top of my head common sizes are 14mm outer diameter 10mm inner diameter and 16mm OD and 12mm ID
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Hawkeye

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 am

silulilu wrote:
I have Messor Barbarus which are know from having strong jaws. The nest I am about to get is 50cm x 30cm I am not sure how is it going to be. They are now in 30x15 and the nest part is all black because of their number. I am not sure if it's going to be enough large nest to make them feel comfortable in it.

So do you guys have any other alternatives options to connect the nest with the outworld?
If I were you, I would simply attach the new nest to the old nest and connect it to an outworld. That way you will have increased their space by 200%. The ants will have to travel through the new nest site to reach the outworld, which gives them a chance to explore new interesting territories (further stimulating their sense of expansion.) The ants should be proccupied with the new scenery, moving the nest and overall happy in their surroundings.

If you're still doubting you might want to provide another/bigger outworld with a good layer of soil in it. Once they start digging in there, you know it's time to expand once again. That way the ants themselves will be your indicator.

In any case they should leave the tubes alone, as for them it's not unlike the tunnels in their nest.

CabboAntsGuy

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 am
silulilu wrote:

If I were you, I would simply attach the new nest to the old nest and connect it to an outworld. That way you will have increased their space by 200%. The ants will have to travel through the new nest site to reach the outworld, which gives them a chance to explore new interesting territories (further stimulating their sense of expansion.) The ants should be proccupied with the new scenery, moving the nest and overall happy in their surroundings.

If you're still doubting you might want to provide another/bigger outworld with a good layer of soil in it. Once they start digging in there, you know it's time to expand once again. That way the ants themselves will be your indicator.

In any case they should leave the tubes alone, as for them it's not unlike the tunnels in their nest.
Yes, if you put both nests together, they should have no reason to worry about the tubes. So long as you give them enough room, they wont need to "dig new tunnels" like they would in the wild.
Keep:
2 formica subsericea