Experimenting with multiple queen test tubes connected

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntChuck

Experimenting with multiple queen test tubes connected

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Using an AC portal and connectors I have assembled a 10 test tube battlegrounds of sorts. I chose the queens with the least amount of brood, least devoloped and a few with mold growing. My hope is that they begin to move around a bit and hopefully gather up brood and mass along the way... originally this group was together after I rescued them from my pool and amassed a large brood before i could seperate. My hopeful expectation is the same occurs and at least gives one or more of these queens a real chance of thriving.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

Attatexana

Re: Experimenting with multiple queen test tubes connected

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:35 pm

What ants are they.

AntChuck

Re: Experimenting with multiple queen test tubes connected

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:48 am

Attatexana wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:35 pm
What ants are they.
They are all Tetramorium. It seems connecting them to an AC portal has actually benefitted the growth of nearly all the test tubes... they were my weaker colonies and in just 3 days nearly all have pupae. That wasn't my goal of course... my hope was to have queens fight and gather brood from the losers... I have tried to remove queens and introduce an orphaned brood to a thriving one however despite the lack of competition the queens literally never moved to check out the new area. I've had 3 queens perish in this trial however their broods have went to happier homes.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis