Help moving queen + workers

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntChuck

Help moving queen + workers

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:28 pm

It seems my test tube with workers has developed a but of mold due to the decapitated pupae. There are two workers, queen and a large number of eggs, larva and pupae... this was brood boosted and the first group of nanitics is still days away at the least. I've tried direct light/some heat but all they do is move further down the tube. Unfortunately it was one of my first test tubes so its smaller and the chamber is larger between opening and cotton blocking the water. I had it connected to the portal but after 3 days of no moving I decided to connect to AC small tower. I tilted the test tube some in hopes that the downward gravity might help push them to move out. Other than that i have no clue.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

Turret675A

Re: Help moving queen + workers

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:23 am

AntChuck wrote:
It seems my test tube with workers has developed a but of mold due to the decapitated pupae. There are two workers, queen and a large number of eggs, larva and pupae... this was brood boosted and the first group of nanitics is still days away at the least. I've tried direct light/some heat but all they do is move further down the tube. Unfortunately it was one of my first test tubes so its smaller and the chamber is larger between opening and cotton blocking the water. I had it connected to the portal but after 3 days of no moving I decided to connect to AC small tower. I tilted the test tube some in hopes that the downward gravity might help push them to move out. Other than that i have no clue.
Try luring them with some honey and make the thing you want them to move into dark by coverung it with something and shine a bright light on the old testube. Worst case scenario you can just dump them into the new testube.
Ants are pretty cool

In Richmond BC currently caring for:
X1 Campontus Herculeanus
X1 Camponotus Modoc
X1 Camponotus Novaeborecensis
X2 Formica Pacifica
X1 Formica Podzolica
X1 Formica Neorufabarbis
X1 Myrmica Incompleta

AntChuck

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:19 pm

Turret675A wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:23 am
AntChuck wrote:
Try luring them with some honey and make the thing you want them to move into dark by coverung it with something and shine a bright light on the old testube. Worst case scenario you can just dump them into the new testube.
If I try to dump them I will likely have several eggs, larva or pupae left behind and being as the colony is only two workers strong they are pretty timid so whats the likely hood they will return for the left behind brood before they die?
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

AntChuck

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:24 pm

Also how harmful is mold? If I can hold off a week they will likely move on their own... their are probably 20 pupae both nanitic and regular size. If i give them a week I suspect many will be active
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

Turret675A

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:30 pm

AntChuck wrote:
Also how harmful is mold? If I can hold off a week they will likely move on their own... their are probably 20 pupae both nanitic and regular size. If i give them a week I suspect many will be active
I find if you use a lamp that's bright but also produces heat helps if you shine it directly on the tubes it should make them move.
Ants are pretty cool

X1 Campontus Herculeanus
X1 Camponotus Modoc
X2 Formica Pacifica
X1 Formica Podzolica
X1 Formica Neorufabarbis
X1 Myrmica Incompleta

AntChuck

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:38 pm

Turret675A wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:30 pm
AntChuck wrote:
I find if you use a lamp that's bright but also produces heat helps if you shine it directly on the tubes it should make them move.
Ahhh yeah i was using a lamp but my biggest concern is letting it get to hot. I've seen videos of people trying to move whole colonies and instead inadvertantly killed whole colonies.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

Turret675A

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Its fine as long as you monitor them, i did the same for my campo colonies when i moved them into fresh tubes. Just be carefull when you do it.
Ants are pretty cool

X1 Campontus Herculeanus
X1 Camponotus Modoc
X2 Formica Pacifica
X1 Formica Podzolica
X1 Formica Neorufabarbis
X1 Myrmica Incompleta

AntChuck

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:18 pm

Mission success... i had to dump twice though... the first time i didnt notice a worker left behind so of course the queen and other worker bee lined it back to the tube then the second time i got most of brood along with workers and queen... both the workers found the shallow tunnel i created however the queen appeared to still prefer the tube... took her 20 minutes and being dragged but glad to say all brood, workers amd queen are now in their newly constructed chamber
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis