Ready to move to formicarium?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsRule

Ready to move to formicarium?

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:55 pm

So my B. dipiles I estimate they have about 30-35 workers, the test tube still has PLENTY of room since they are super tiny. They have only just managed to thoroughly crowd the wet cotton ball. I need some opinions on whether I should move them now or wait a bit. They have a big brood batch now and I see a lot of pupa(the kind without a cocoon. There water portion is on the brink of running out, should I bother with changing the test tubes or go straight to a formicarium? I have the supplies ready to build my own grout formicarium, it will be 6"x4" so it is pretty tiny. I think I should wait for the pupa to morph into workers and the water should be gone by then so they will have more help and since there will be no water in the test tube they will have a reason to move. How long until the pupa emerge? Thanks! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

AnthonyP163

Re: Ready to move to formicarium?

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:59 pm

I would go for the formicarium if I were you.

Austheboss

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:43 pm

AntsRule wrote:So my B. dipiles I estimate they have about 30-35 workers, the test tube still has PLENTY of room since they are super tiny. They have only just managed to thoroughly crowd the wet cotton ball. I need some opinions on whether I should move them now or wait a bit. They have a big brood batch now and I see a lot of pupa(the kind without a cocoon. There water portion is on the brink of running out, should I bother with changing the test tubes or go straight to a formicarium? I have the supplies ready to build my own grout formicarium, it will be 6"x4" so it is pretty tiny. I think I should wait for the pupa to morph into workers and the water should be gone by then so they will have more help and since there will be no water in the test tube they will have a reason to move. How long until the pupa emerge? Thanks! :D
I agree with AnthonyP163, allow them to move into the formicarium if they want to, they seem to have enough workers to initiate a move. You could always wait a few more days to a week for the pupae to develop, but I think the colony is large enough to move. Up to you. Let me know what you do, and put up some pictures, I would like to see what the formicarium looks like. :D
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

AntsRule

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:19 pm

Austheboss wrote:
AntsRule wrote:So my B. dipiles I estimate they have about 30-35 workers, the test tube still has PLENTY of room since they are super tiny. They have only just managed to thoroughly crowd the wet cotton ball. I need some opinions on whether I should move them now or wait a bit. They have a big brood batch now and I see a lot of pupa(the kind without a cocoon. There water portion is on the brink of running out, should I bother with changing the test tubes or go straight to a formicarium? I have the supplies ready to build my own grout formicarium, it will be 6"x4" so it is pretty tiny. I think I should wait for the pupa to morph into workers and the water should be gone by then so they will have more help and since there will be no water in the test tube they will have a reason to move. How long until the pupa emerge? Thanks! :D
I agree with AnthonyP163, allow them to move into the formicarium if they want to, they seem to have enough workers to initiate a move. You could always wait a few more days to a week for the pupae to develop, but I think the colony is large enough to move. Up to you. Let me know what you do, and put up some pictures, I would like to see what the formicarium looks like. :D
Thanks everyone! Austheboss i will post pics in my B. depilis journal in around a week. Here's the link :D
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1437
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Solenopsisace

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:02 pm

Yeah bro just put the test tube in the outworld make sure they have honey and water close to the test tube and let them Venture into the formicarium themselves. Good job and good luck bro :D

MCWren

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:26 pm

That's funny. I have every species you have except C. subbarbatus, and even my B. depilis colony is at pretty much the same exact stage as yours. We're so similar lol. The only difference is that my Brachymyrmex depilis colony was caught in the wild as a mature colony, so they have dirt in their test tube, which they have made into a cool nest.

Also, you should join our Skype group if you have a Skype. Just tell me your username if you wanna join.