Concerns with which setup to use

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Wattaton

Concerns with which setup to use

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:25 pm

I have a Lasius Queen who recently hatched her first workers. My options for housing them are an aquarium and a glass formicarium with a microfiber lid. They are similar to fire ants in size so I worry that they would have no problem escaping the aquarium. Also how many workers should she have before introducing more territory?

Good2Know15

Re: Concerns with which setup to use

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:44 am

Wattaton wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:25 pm
I have a Lasius Queen who recently hatched her first workers. My options for housing them are an aquarium and a glass formicarium with a microfiber lid. They are similar to fire ants in size so I worry that they would have no problem escaping the aquarium. Also how many workers should she have before introducing more territory?
I wouldn't go big too fast as they could use the extra space as their garbage composal, which can lead to harmfull bacteria/mold outbreaks. What are the dimensions of the aquarium and glass formicarium? If you're housing your queen in a test tube setup, then wait until the test tube is full before introducing them to any big formicarium. If you want to move them into a small one, then wait until she has atleast 20+ workers. A small 10 x 10 x X cm formicarium with 4 chambers should do ;) Also make sure to leave one part of the nest dry while the other is moist. Ants can be specific when choosing their nesting space :roll:

Trust me, you don't want to give your ants too much space too soon! I made that mistake last year and I honestly regret it :?
Also known as Ants_Netherlands18 on Instagram

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

For species ID, feel free to message me privately!

Wattaton

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:13 am

The aquarium is 12" x 30" while the formicarium is 8" x 8" with a 3" x 8 out world. Thank you for the advice, I'd hate to be too hasty.

Good2Know15

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:14 am

Wattaton wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:13 am
The aquarium is 12" x 30" while the formicarium is 8" x 8" with a 3" x 8 out world. Thank you for the advice, I'd hate to be too hasty.
The aquarium is way too big for them now. I would wait until she has atleast 20 workers before giving her a formicarium. It's better to take the safe route first until you gain more experience with antkeeping. Make sure to feed them a tiny drop of honey and a fruit fly once a week and you will see the colony multiplying in numbers soon. Remember to never rush your ants to do anything from eating or moving into a new nest. It's just a game of patience, but you will eventually get there!

Good luck ;)
Also known as Ants_Netherlands18 on Instagram

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

For species ID, feel free to message me privately!