Strange Queen behaviour?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

MissMercy

Strange Queen behaviour?

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:04 am

A few weeks back I caught two Camponotus Queens both the same species and caught both on the same day. The first queen is doing really good and has a massive clutch of eggs, the second queen has not laid a single egg yet and I don’t know why. I am keeping them both in exactly identical setups and check up on them every 3 to 7 days to see their progress. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Also If someone could help me Identify these queens species I would be really grateful, heres the link to my post with pictures of one of the queens https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=15174

Whitelotus

Re: Strange Queen behaviour?

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:11 am

The queen may be taking a while to adjust. Try adding a small bit if honey in the set up, perhaps her energy is low.

Hawkeye

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:31 am

MissMercy wrote:
A few weeks back I caught two Camponotus Queens both the same species and caught both on the same day. The first queen is doing really good and has a massive clutch of eggs, the second queen has not laid a single egg yet and I don’t know why. I am keeping them both in exactly identical setups and check up on them every 3 to 7 days to see their progress. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Also If someone could help me Identify these queens species I would be really grateful, heres the link to my post with pictures of one of the queens https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=15174
Just add a tiny drop of honey and give it some time. She might not have been fertilised...

MissMercy

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:56 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:31 am
MissMercy wrote:

Just add a tiny drop of honey and give it some time. She might not have been fertilised...
I did what you said and added a bit of honey to her setup, It's been about a day and it doesn't look like she drank any yet but ill leave her alone for about a week or so and see what happens. And she probably is fertile because she had already dropped her wings off before I caught her. I also still need help Identifying her species :)

Hawkeye

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:32 pm

Sorry must have missed that post. Could it be Camponotus modoc ?

MissMercy

Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:50 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:32 pm
Sorry must have missed that post. Could it be Camponotus modoc ?
It's possible it does look very similar to her but if you look closely at her she doesn't have nearly as many hairs as Camponotus modoc and her hairs are dark while this species tends to have light golden coloured hairs. I was thinking they could be Camponotus herculeanus but I'm not entirely sure so I need some people to help me confirm. My region in which I live is also pretty important when it comes to determining the species because their aren't many species native to here to begin with, not many ants can survive so far north/east, I live in Newfoundland, Canada. :)

I would also like some suggestions on housing these girls, bought some supplies from the AntsCanada website but they finally got here and I'm afraid the test tubes are too small for them. More info here: https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=15330

Hawkeye

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:30 am

The pictures are to dark to make that determination sorry. Check antwiki.org for species that live in Canada

MissMercy

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:03 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:30 am
The pictures are to dark to make that determination sorry. Check antwiki.org for species that live in Canada
Moved the queen that doesn’t have eggs yet into a proper test tube setup and put my phone flashlight on her to get a better look at her, I’m pretty confident now that she and the other queen are Camponotus herculeanus now because of her coloration but I will for sure put some pictures up when I can take some better ones. Also geez this queen is super feisty xD she was gnawing on the cotton plug super aggressively when I moved her into the tube, my other queen isn’t nearly as aggressive as her, I also wrapped a thick paper covering over her tube so when I open the drawer she isn’t bothered by the light so hopefully she’ll settle down and start laying within the next week or so.