Question about Formica

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

notmyidea

Question about Formica

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:28 am

I have a Formica colony that was in a test tube setup and doing very well. She had 10 workers, several eggs, and a few enclosing. I decided to connect the outworld the test tube was in to an AntsCanada Hybrid Nest with the idea that in the near future I would move the colony there. Well, to my surprise, 2 hours later they moved on their own with no light, heat, etc. tricks from me. Very contrary to what I have read. Anyways, since moving to the Hybrid nest, the Queen has stopped laying. She has about 20 workers now.
I had a heat cable but have stopped using it to see if that was the issue (it's a warm room, about 25-28C). I am always making sure to keep the water reservoir full. No workers have died and they still occasionally come out for some honey water. Any suggestions?

Batspiderfish

Re: Question about Formica

Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:32 am

It seems slightly early in the year for this explanation, but Formica do no not hibernate with any brood. Maybe she is just done until next spring.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

notmyidea

Re: Question about Formica

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:03 am

Batspiderfish wrote:It seems slightly early in the year for this explanation, but Formica do no not hibernate with any brood. Maybe she is just done until next spring.
Ya, that was my theory too.