Tetramorium Mass Queen moving success

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntChuck

Tetramorium Mass Queen moving success

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:53 pm

Back story essentially I rescued a bunch of tetramorium immigrans queens from my pool. Due to vacation/lack of test tubes I was unable to house them properly. It appears many were mated. My test tubes arrived in the mail today so i began to slowly transfer queens into their own individual set ups. It was a slow process as they had laid a large number of eggs and seperated into mini groups inside the container. Luckily i had placed a few pen caps inside the container to act as mini chambers which several queens chose to reside in along with brood making the removal of brood and queens easier. After removing queens and as much brood as i could safely from the caps i would return the caps to the container close to a group of queens witj brood with the hopes they would transfer their own broods and gather any remaining brood in the container. Im happy to say this approach worked with great success. I am down to the final 5 queens. In total i now have 32 queens in individual test tubes and tomorrow i will finish the others. 37 queens in all were transfered. I have an additional 6 in a small Uncle Milton ant farm to see how they fare. My AC tower should be here within the next few days. If i like the set up i will likely order a handful more. Until then im eager to see what these queens do in their new set ups. With any luck the majority of these colonies will thrive which will give me the ability to brood boost the strongest ones for placement in the towers or to simply become a GAN farmer as Wisconsin seems to have very few. So if you live in WI and might want some tetramorium please feel free to follow my updates.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

antperson24

Re: Tetramorium Mass Queen moving success

Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:56 am

AntChuck wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:53 pm
Back story essentially I rescued a bunch of tetramorium immigrans queens from my pool. Due to vacation/lack of test tubes I was unable to house them properly. It appears many were mated. My test tubes arrived in the mail today so i began to slowly transfer queens into their own individual set ups. It was a slow process as they had laid a large number of eggs and seperated into mini groups inside the container. Luckily i had placed a few pen caps inside the container to act as mini chambers which several queens chose to reside in along with brood making the removal of brood and queens easier. After removing queens and as much brood as i could safely from the caps i would return the caps to the container close to a group of queens witj brood with the hopes they would transfer their own broods and gather any remaining brood in the container. Im happy to say this approach worked with great success. I am down to the final 5 queens. In total i now have 32 queens in individual test tubes and tomorrow i will finish the others. 37 queens in all were transfered. I have an additional 6 in a small Uncle Milton ant farm to see how they fare. My AC tower should be here within the next few days. If i like the set up i will likely order a handful more. Until then im eager to see what these queens do in their new set ups. With any luck the majority of these colonies will thrive which will give me the ability to brood boost the strongest ones for placement in the towers or to simply become a GAN farmer as Wisconsin seems to have very few. So if you live in WI and might want some tetramorium please feel free to follow my updates.
Man, that's a lot of queens.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN