Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:48 am

Kherafox wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:11 am
Rockster wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:07 am
Kherafox wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:52 am
So, ok. Colony moving question - when should I offer the mini-hybrid nest to my crematos?

And, I'm thinking about just applying tape to the corners of the glass, as I want to be able to clean it out later when needed, instead of gluing it - besides the glass is heavy! I can't imagine them being able to move it. Thoughts?
Dont be in to much of a hurry, as I was :oops: if they have to much room part of it becomes the dump, How many workers? to do it again I would have waited till I had twice the workers, and the glass does not need tape, unless they are ghost ants they are not getting thru it, I made the mistake of gluing mine, not looking forward to getting it apart to clean it, but I only used kids glue so it should just take warm water.
She has seven workers right now, with a clump of pupa probably going to eclose within a week or so. It just seems like they're bored.. sometimes they hang out and do nothing. And yeah they use a corner of their test tube portal that I feed them in as a garbage dump.

The main thing is, I don't want them to get to be too many when I go to move them, and have several escape - maybe just attach one of the other ports to the tube, then to the nest if I should wait til they have a bunch more.
I would not connect the mini yet, you need a lot more workers, they actually do better when there are more workers, 30 to 40 is best, you could put a portal between their tube and the mini they wont move in until they are ready, but can start to use it as a dump, so my advice is to wait, it's less stress on them as well.
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Paratrechina longicornis- 20+
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1
Tapinoma Melanocephalum- 2

SYUTEO

Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:16 am

Today just have probably the most saddest update yet... :cry: this morning i just came to my room to feed my ant colonies and something bad happened, my big headed ants escaped! At the time they escaped, they were bringing the last of the brood to their new nest, i found where they were going and they were nesting in a tiny hole near the door, i can't get them back anymore... And why does this had to be on Christmas day!? :cry:

CabboAntsGuy

Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:54 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Today just have probably the most saddest update yet... :cry: this morning i just came to my room to feed my ant colonies and something bad happened, my big headed ants escaped! At the time they escaped, they were bringing the last of the brood to their new nest, i found where they were going and they were nesting in a tiny hole near the door, i can't get them back anymore... And why does this had to be on Christmas day!? :cry:
So sorry to hear that, do you no anywhere they could have gone to?

Quick question, I got a Japanese Juniper Bonsai Tree for Christmas(Which by the way, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas) And I was wondering if any of you have any experience or tips on keeping it. Thanks for any feedback. :D
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

SYUTEO

Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:55 am

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:54 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
So sorry to hear that, do you no anywhere they could have gone to?

Quick question, I got a Japanese Juniper Bonsai Tree for Christmas(Which by the way, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas) And I was wondering if any of you have any experience or tips on keeping it. Thanks for any feedback. :D
Yes i do know where they were going to but today, i can't find them anymore, not even the tiny hole they were moving in to so i think they must have went to my backyard or anywhere in my house to nest in... :(

jojofire12

Urgent advice

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:36 am

My ants seem to have hairlike follicles growing on them, I'm not sure if it's new, whether it has been there, or if there is a source but if anyone knows what it could be let me know.

(For all I know it could just be hair and I just haven't noticed)
Proud owner of: Camponotus floridanus

CANant

Re: Urgent advice

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:12 pm

jojofire12 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:36 am
My ants seem to have hairlike follicles growing on them, I'm not sure if it's new, whether it has been there, or if there is a source but if anyone knows what it could be let me know.

(For all I know it could just be hair and I just haven't noticed)
Yes most have tiny hairs. Especially the species you have :) I believe they have quite a few longer ones too.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

heyhowie

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:21 am

Hey all, just came across this forum and was hoping someone could help me seeing as I havent been able to find anything else online.

Last week I started my ant family with a formicarium and a Queen Camponotus consobrinus. She came with 4 workers and the first week went well. A new worker hatched(?) and she's laid another 5+ eggs. Her abdomen also swelled up a tonne as she had access to more than just test tube moisture for the first time in her life.

However I came home today and found that the size of her abdomen had (maybe) gone down a little bit and there was a redish clear discharge in the test tube (still waiting for her to move out into her new home). tried taking a photo but hard to really see in the current setup.

Has anyone seen this before?

CANant

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:40 am

heyhowie wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:21 am
Hey all, just came across this forum and was hoping someone could help me seeing as I havent been able to find anything else online.

Last week I started my ant family with a formicarium and a Queen Camponotus consobrinus. She came with 4 workers and the first week went well. A new worker hatched(?) and she's laid another 5+ eggs. Her abdomen also swelled up a tonne as she had access to more than just test tube moisture for the first time in her life.

However I came home today and found that the size of her abdomen had (maybe) gone down a little bit and there was a redish clear discharge in the test tube (still waiting for her to move out into her new home). tried taking a photo but hard to really see in the current setup.

Has anyone seen this before?
My ants have it too. It’s their excrement (poop) from what I was told. They should establish a washroom area when the colony get more comfortable. Still I find a tube change is needed sometimes if they continue to use the nest tube as a washroom. I noticed mine had more in the tube the colder and closer they got to diapause because they didn’t move around as much or as far.
I would take a picture but I cleaned it up recently while they are sleeping (in diapause). Wish someone would clean my house when I was sleeping hehe
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

heyhowie

Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:49 pm

Okay cool, makes me a little less worried, just seemed like a large amount to appear overnight. Ill keep an eye on her.

Any idea how long it usually takes a Queen to leave her test tube?
Do ants go through diapause (is that like hibernating?) in Australia?
Any good resources for checking when nuptial flights usually take place? Would love to catch my own.

AusAnts

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:31 am

heyhowie wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:49 pm
Okay cool, makes me a little less worried, just seemed like a large amount to appear overnight. Ill keep an eye on her.

Any idea how long it usually takes a Queen to leave her test tube?
Do ants go through diapause (is that like hibernating?) in Australia?
Any good resources for checking when nuptial flights usually take place? Would love to catch my own.
Hello
it depends on how many workers you have, But 4-5 workers can take anywhere from a few minutes to a week. I find shinning a light on there current tube and covering the other tube in foil/paper works. I "think" they go through hibernation in your region but i'm not sure. The flights in Australia are normally around spring/summer, with the larger species flying in summer.
2 x iridomyrmex sp Queen:15+ workers
2 x iridomyrmex pallidus: 40+ workers
1 x pheidole megacephala:2 queen 300 workers.
1 x opisthopsis Queen: 14 workers