Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Fredna

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:01 am

Hello,
My son started his first ant colony last summer with a camponotus queen in a test tube. This winter he put them (queen, brood and 3 workers) into brumation. He has been trying to figure out how fast one brings them out of brumation and when. Would you raise the temperature one degree per day or faster?
Should he start when we hit spring equinox or when our weather starts to warm up or when the ants start to move?
Thanks for all your insight and help.

StrickyAnts

Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Hey am new to antkeeping. And want to keep Camponotus. But don't know if there native to southern cali. If you know there native can you list the species. Thanks in advance!!

ArizonanAnts

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:37 pm

StrickyAnts wrote:
Hey am new to antkeeping. And want to keep Camponotus. But don't know if there native to southern cali. If you know there native can you list the species. Thanks in advance!!
Hello,

Welcome to antkeeping!!!!

Following is a very useful website to know which species are native:

antmaps.org

Click the link AND HAVE FUN!!

-ArizonanAnts
Keeper of
1 Forelius Pruinosus
Queen Name: Azucar Forelia
Founding Stage - 4 Workers, 0 Pupae, 6 Larvae, 8 Eggs.

Join The Camponotus Crew
Join the Forelius Clan

CANant

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:36 am

ArizonanAnts wrote:
StrickyAnts wrote:
Hello,

antmaps.org

-ArizonanAnts
Thanks ArizonanAnts. I didn’t know about this map. The link didn’t work so I googled it and attached the correct link. It was missing /? https://antmaps.org/?
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus x 1

Follow my journal:
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?t=15741

Check out my progress: https://imgur.com/user/CANant

🐜❤️

CANant

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:23 am

Fredna wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:01 am
Hello,
My son started his first ant colony last summer with a camponotus queen in a test tube. This winter he put them (queen, brood and 3 workers) into brumation. He has been trying to figure out how fast one brings them out of brumation and when. Would you raise the temperature one degree per day or faster?
Should he start when we hit spring equinox or when our weather starts to warm up or when the ants start to move?
Thanks for all your insight and help.
Hi Fredna
That’s awesome your son has taken an interest in ant keeping and that you are supporting him on it. It really is a fascinating hobby.
Just a little note when ants hibernate for the winter it’s called diapause. I believe brumation is reptiles. If you were having trouble finding info online that might be why. Whereabouts are you located?
I’m in Ontario, Canada. Here we keep our ants in diapause for 4-6 months. Some say 7 but I feel it’s risky. I personally wouldn’t go longer than 5 months myself. I kept mine between 8-10 degrees celsius. Our temperature starts to warm up in April however I just took my ants out of diapause which gave them a solid 4 months. I keep them in a wine cooler (fridge specifically for wine) and since I cannot increase the temperature anymore than what it’s at. I just remove them from the cooler and place them in a cooler room of the house. They have water all year and I make sure to offer sugar water or nectar at this point. After 24 hours I move them back to the room I keep them all summer, offer a cricket leg or a small piece of protein, wait another 24-48 hours then I add heat during the day from a 15 watt heat cable and a larger piece of protein like a small cricket. You should see movement (might be slow or lethargic) from the workers fairly quickly and they should be fully active within 24 hours. The queen can take a bit longer to wake up than the workers. Still you should see her antenna or legs moving/twitching. I would be concerned if you haven’t seen any movement in 24-48hrs from the workers at least. I’m sure depending on your location there might be variations to my area and depending on the species as well. I am keeping Camponotus Pennsylvanicus.
If you have the option to increase their temperature slowly by degree as you mentioned it wouldn’t be bad but I don’t know if it’s really necessary because many keepers don’t have that option and do well with just taking them out of their cold environment into a warm environment. They shouldn’t move much or at all in diapause so you won’t see movement until they are out of the colder temperature. Just make sure they have water at all times and you offer some form of sugar water immediately out of diapause and if there is larvae maybe a bit of protein as well.
Hope that helped.
Keeper of:

Follow my journal:

🐜❤️

ArizonanAnts

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:38 am

CANant wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:36 am
ArizonanAnts wrote:
StrickyAnts wrote:
Hello,

antmaps.org

-ArizonanAnts
Thanks ArizonanAnts. I didn’t know about this map. The link didn’t work so I googled it and attached the correct link. It was missing /? https://antmaps.org/?
Thanks for fixing it. Its the map that they use on the ant wiki. The ant wiki is also very useful.
Keeper of
1 Forelius Pruinosus
Queen Name: Azucar Forelia
Founding Stage - 4 Workers, 0 Pupae, 6 Larvae, 8 Eggs.

Join The Camponotus Crew
Join the Forelius Clan

tonywolfin

Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:48 am

Hi - In the Netherlands here and looking to get into the hobby.

Anyone local to the Utrecht area that has queens for me to start a colony ?

STucks

Newish Queen Issues

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Good afternoon, I'm new here and am looking forward to any advice and/or opinions,

Last year I picked up a Carpenter Queen running around looking for a home.
I stuck her in a test tube setup (water, cotton ball, queen, cotton ball) and she happily laid eggs which eventually turned into 3 little workers. I moved them into a little aquarium with a separate fresh water test tube. I fed them a mix of honey and crushed spiders/general insects. I was hoping some more eggs would hatch before winter, but no joy.
Winter came and I moved them into an unheated room in the house, but continued to give them fresh water and food.
Through the winter, the workers died one by one. I just chaulked it up to a sad and unfortunate reality of a first year queen. She still seemed to be doing fine and was curled around more eggs. Spring came, I moved her aquarium back into the light and she slept on for a little bit.
Eventually she woke up, ate her eggs and now refuses to go into her home tube. Ive washed it, changed the cotton ball, covered it in foil again and still she refuses. I've offered her a variety of food, honey, different crushed insects, maple syrup, I even tried avacado. She has zero interest in playing house again and instead sits out in the open footloose and fancy free. She's done this for about a week now.

Sorry for the lengthy background, I would greatly appreciate any helpful advice or suggestions.

CANant

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:51 am

tonywolfin wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:48 am
Hi - In the Netherlands here and looking to get into the hobby.

Anyone local to the Utrecht area that has queens for me to start a colony ?
Hello
Welcome! I think your best bet would be to look into the GAN Project run through AntsCanada.
Good luck!
Keeper of:

Follow my journal:

🐜❤️

CANant

Re: Newish Queen Issues

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:15 am

STucks wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:24 pm
Good afternoon, I'm new here and am looking forward to any advice and/or opinions,

Last year I picked up a Carpenter Queen running around looking for a home.
I stuck her in a test tube setup (water, cotton ball, queen, cotton ball) and she happily laid eggs which eventually turned into 3 little workers. I moved them into a little aquarium with a separate fresh water test tube. I fed them a mix of honey and crushed spiders/general insects. I was hoping some more eggs would hatch before winter, but no joy.
Winter came and I moved them into an unheated room in the house, but continued to give them fresh water and food.
Through the winter, the workers died one by one. I just chaulked it up to a sad and unfortunate reality of a first year queen. She still seemed to be doing fine and was curled around more eggs. Spring came, I moved her aquarium back into the light and she slept on for a little bit.
Eventually she woke up, ate her eggs and now refuses to go into her home tube. Ive washed it, changed the cotton ball, covered it in foil again and still she refuses. I've offered her a variety of food, honey, different crushed insects, maple syrup, I even tried avacado. She has zero interest in playing house again and instead sits out in the open footloose and fancy free. She's done this for about a week now.

Sorry for the lengthy background, I would greatly appreciate any helpful advice or suggestions.
Hello STucks

I’m not an expert by any means but I will do my best to answer and help you out with your questions. Please excuse me if I’m saying things you already know just want to make sure to cover it just in case.
Are you sure the workers actually died and weren’t in diapause (ant hibernation)? The workers and queen will literally go to sleep in cold temperatures and will look dead curled up on their sides even. Some ants will take quite a while to wake up. I’ve read up to 2 weeks depending on diapause temperature and species. If she overwintered with eggs and not larvae that would explain partly why she ate them. Eggs will not survive winter. They must be in larvae stage going into diapause. I have also read pupae stages will also die. The queen will not waste the protein. She needs the protein to produce more eggs so if the eggs were dead that would explain why she ate them. The other reason queens eat brood is because they don’t feel safe and are stressed.
I will also warn giving a small founding colony too much space too soon or to large a foraging area will usually end poorly. Maybe if you can gently coax her into a tube. I would offer her small amounts of food (protein and sugar water) in there. Basically start over..give her dark, peace and quiet as much as possible so she will feel safe again. My guess at this point she doesn’t feel safe. Also do you provide heat to your ants? Where are you located?
Keeper of:

Follow my journal:

🐜❤️