Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Kherafox

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Since I've been so 'bad' and looking in on my two queens every day even just for a peek, I'm making myself not look til saturday at the earliest. :(

But, I've been having .. fun..? ... trying to get rid of this round of birdseed moths... sometimes I don't know where they get their population explosion. They're more annoying than anything. But they make good crematogaster food, according to the feral colony's enthusiasm.

I've actually noticed that the feral crematos generally won't go after a moth that's still twitching. With exception of one smaller worker-warrior who decided to go all xena on it and jump onto it. (I hate squishing bugs by hand, but it's all I had nearby)

They were actually moving brood last night, I was happy watching them a little. ^_^ So maybe they were a little focused, but it seemed like they had a bunch of workers that had just eclosed? Lighter colored/smaller a bit, and it was the smaller ones that went after the moths like they had something to prove!

The one that attacked the dead moth emerged a few minutes later -covered- in moth dust like it had been rolled in powdered sugar. It sat to the side for a good few minutes cleaning itself like "oh ew ew ew ew...!" :lol:

I'm planning on hopefully having my cremato colony, once they're up to being in the tube+portal setup, on my desk in front of me with their nest-tube maybe covered in red transparent plastic or something. We'll see how it goes as it goes! I can't wait until I can watch them and their own adventures. :)
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

ArizonanAnts

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Kherafox wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:59 pm
Since I've been so 'bad' and looking in on my two queens every day even just for a peek, I'm making myself not look til saturday at the earliest. :(

But, I've been having .. fun..? ... trying to get rid of this round of birdseed moths... sometimes I don't know where they get their population explosion. They're more annoying than anything. But they make good crematogaster food, according to the feral colony's enthusiasm.

I've actually noticed that the feral crematos generally won't go after a moth that's still twitching. With exception of one smaller worker-warrior who decided to go all xena on it and jump onto it. (I hate squishing bugs by hand, but it's all I had nearby)

They were actually moving brood last night, I was happy watching them a little. ^_^ So maybe they were a little focused, but it seemed like they had a bunch of workers that had just eclosed? Lighter colored/smaller a bit, and it was the smaller ones that went after the moths like they had something to prove!

The one that attacked the dead moth emerged a few minutes later -covered- in moth dust like it had been rolled in powdered sugar. It sat to the side for a good few minutes cleaning itself like "oh ew ew ew ew...!" :lol:

I'm planning on hopefully having my cremato colony, once they're up to being in the tube+portal setup, on my desk in front of me with their nest-tube maybe covered in red transparent plastic or something. We'll see how it goes as it goes! I can't wait until I can watch them and their own adventures. :)
Cool. I am really happy that Helena has workers? Well anyway I'm really glad that you were able to see this. LOL. :lol: .

Now do any of you have any suggestions for a Forelius Colony Name? (Nothing Inapproriate) (Hawkeye) :D If you do Please reply to me thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooo much. :lol:
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Kherafox

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:42 pm

Cool. I am really happy that Helena has workers? Well anyway I'm really glad that you were able to see this. LOL. :lol: .
Helena doesn't have workers, it was the feral colony outside on my/my neighbor's balcony. ^_^ They provide a great preview of how her workers will be. They also help redirect the excitement of her first workers for the next couple weeks by already being there, even if it's outside with the other bugs. :P
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

jojofire12

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:55 pm

I think I have only one more beginners question, how often do I give my ants food/honey and how do I change/give them water while they live in the test tube setup?
Proud owner of: Camponotus floridanus

Hawkeye

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 pm

jojofire12 wrote:
I think I have only one more beginners question, how often do I give my ants food/honey and how do I change/give them water while they live in the test tube setup?
Hey jojo! Good question. If you have set up your tube correctly you should be good for quite a while on the water. Short of using a syringe for a refill, I'd say moving them into a fresh tube is the easiest solution.
Feeding depends on the size of your colony and how much they consume. If it takes them 2 days to eat a drop of honey for instance then I wouldn't feed them for another 3-4 days at least.

Hawkeye

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:45 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 pm
jojofire12 wrote:
Hey jojo! Good question. If you have set up your tube correctly you should be good for quite a while on the water. Short of using a syringe for a refill, I'd say having a test tube portal which you can attach a fresh tube with water to is the easiest sollution.
Feeding depends on the size of your colony and how much they consume. If it takes them 2 days to eat a drop of honey for instance then I wouldn't feed them for another 3-4 days at least.

Hawkeye

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:48 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:

Now do any of you have any suggestions for a Forelius Colony Name? (Nothing Inapproriate) (Hawkeye) :D If you do Please reply to me thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooo much. :lol:
Felicity Fellows?

Kherafox

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:17 am

So, I tried not to peek at the queens til saturday, but I only made it half the time. Something that concerns me though...

I'm pretty sure Helena's broodpile is larger, but I -think- they are all the same size, smaller egg size like they were freshly laid. Or they could be mixed and I looked too closely and got her agitated for nothing, and I couldn't see exactly... but I think they are.

(And yeah she did get pretty agitated this time, enough so she was walking around in circles around her eggs, and got a small clump of four stuck to her gaster in passing... :( )

So, I'm thinking I might know the answer to this but I gotta ask - is it common for a queen to eat brood that are a couple weeks old and then lay a larger pile of fresh eggs? :?: :(

ArizonanAnts

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:54 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:48 pm
ArizonanAnts wrote:

Felicity Fellows?
I'll consider it (if it's not inappropriate) any more suggestions?
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Hawkeye

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am

Nothing inapropriate at least not that I am aware. Do the ants have any special features which can offer inspiration?